Final Rounds, Goodbyes, and Seeing Mumbai

Sunday, February 10th, 2014

Greetings!

Because Justin and I unfortunately didn’t move on to the semi-final rounds, we were at least able to go out as a team and explore Mumbai today. We spent the morning with our friends from the U.S., England and Poland and made plans to take a cab ride all around Mumbai to see the slums and different provinces. It was a very eye-opening experience, as we saw a type of life that all of us aren’t exactly used to. Seeing the entire city was incredible. It is so diverse and full of life absolutely everywhere you look. I have some great pictures that I will be uploading once I have a stable internet connection back in the states!

Our team decided to split from the group and go for a walk along the bay during the afternoon. We walked more than a mile, I would say, and there were plenty of people spending time in the sun. We even were asked to take a picture with a couple of Indian boys, which has not been a rare occurrence here. The rest of the group headed to the large art show going on in a different part of town, while I headed back to the hotel to take a nap.

Later in the afternoon, it was time for the final round of competition. Team Q, the team that beat us in the quarter-final round, was up against Team P for the finals. We rooted for Team Q – and they won! It is at least a little bit of solace that we were barely beat in the quarter-finals by the team that won the whole competition. Individual awards were given, and while we didn’t get any formal recognition for it, we received all of our score sheets, and Justin and I both scored in the top 10 speakers of the competition! I was ranked 7th overall, while Justin was ranked 9th overall. We were the only team that was not in the final round that did so! We had a tasty dinner afterwards, and then headed to the After-Moot party!

The team rented out an entire section of a club here, Liv, for the group to enjoy for the evening. It was an amazing time! All of us spent time dancing the night away, and even a large group of us hung out afterwards. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to a lot of the friends that we made from around the world. I can’t believe this amazing weekend has come to an end!

I will write again when I’ve arrived back in the states with my final impressions of the trip! I can’t wait to tell you all about it. See you at school soon!

Julie

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.