This past week was full of a whirlwind of activities, the most recent being our group’s weekend trip to Wales. Normally, groups travel to the Lake District in England for their hiking trip, but our director Matt decided to take us to Wales instead. And we were all very glad he did.

Our first stop was Caernarfon Castle in Wales. I have a fascination with royalty and princesses, so for me, seeing a castle was the perfect way to spend a couple of hours. Being able to see the passages and staircases and rooms in a castle gives me a better sense of what life would have been like for royalty back in the day. I can definitely see where a castle would have been drafty–there were a couple of times when the wind whipped right through the windows.

We also had the opportunity to go horseback riding on the beach. It was a gorgeous evening, and the sky was so blue, and it made it the perfect afternoon. My horse’s name was Tommy, and he was black with a little nub of a tail. He had a mind of his own, so by the end of the walk, we had moved up from sixth in line to second in line. This was only my second time on a horse, but I felt so secure and relaxed with Tommy that I was able to enjoy all the scenery around me without worrying about breaking away from the group or falling off.

The next day, we went on a “hike” (more like a nature walk) down a road from our hostel. The day was cloudy, and it rained a little, but it made for a very peaceful walk. The clouds were low in the sky, and covered the tops of the mountains in a sort of eerie fog that I thought was absolutely beautiful. We strolled through the rolling hills, next to the water and the estuaries, and then out to the sea. There were blackberries and gooseberries along the side of the road that we picked and ate along the way.

On Sunday, we drove to Liverpool and visited the childhood homes of John Lennon and Sir Paul McCartney. Our group stood in the front entryway of John Lennon’s house where the Beatles practiced, and sang a Beatles song. We can now all say that we sang where the Beatles sang :). Because Liverpool was the main dock where slaves were transported into the UK, we also visited the Maritime and Slavery Museum in Liverpool.

It was a wonderful weekend, and the perfect way to see a new country. If anyone else has the chance to go to Wales while they are in England, take that chance. As several people in our group said, now that we’ve been to Wales, we couldn’t imagine coming here and not visiting Wales. It is such a beautiful and unique place, and absolutely worth the time to go and see.

Caernarfon Castle

Caernarfon Castle

Tommy and me on the beach :)

Tommy and me on the beach 🙂

View from our horse ride to the beach

View from our horse ride to the beach