Big Month in Data Education — October

October has been an incredibly busy month! I’ve been traveling a lot, taking part in a wide variety of activities around data science education. It’s been a pretty big month and I’m here to give you a very quick run-down of what’s been happening!

The month kicked off with the Midwest Big Data Innovation Hub’s “All-hands on Deck” Meeting. I was invited there as part of a planning grant the hub had received to develop a spoke proposal for the hub to create a “Resource Center for Non-R1 Universities”. The meeting was very interesting, and we got to hear about some really neat work on using data science to advance agriculture, smart cities and more. The most relevant for data science education though was the final panel, “Education and Workforce Development.” Panelists included Jim Barkley, David Mongeau and Renata Rawlings-Goss. You can find their slides on the Midwest Big Data Hub (Barkley Slides, Mongeau Slides, Rawlings-Goss Slides). There is also a video recording of the panel here. The other important event that happened at the meeting was the afternoon grant-planning session. While I can’t share documents from that yet, I left very excited about the possibilities of establishing an important educational center for data science education that would help address the needs of non-R1 institutions. Some of the ideas that were shared included providing a clearing house for internships and project opportunities, connecting smaller institutions with interesting research projects and facilitating finding instructional expertise for most esoteric courses.

Mid-Month (October 20th), the National Academy of Sciences’ held their 4th roundtable on Data Science Education, “Alternative Institutional and Educational Mechanisms”. You can find the webcast and agenda webpage here. I attended as a member of the public and was able to contribute a few ideas and questions. There were several great presentations and some perspectives on education I hadn’t considered were definitely presented. Eric Kolaczyk gave a great presentation that described a very nicely integrated learning pathway for building data expertise at the master’s level. The MS in Statistical Practice It is one of the few programs I know of (now) that actually redesigned several of their courses to make a more effective data science education, and cohesive learning structure. It was also very informative to hear about Metis’s data science “bootcamps”. It’s pretty clear Metis is doing some excellent education work in data science, but very different from traditional, academic education. Additional talks worth listening to were Andrew Bray, explaining the origin and evolution of the American Statistical Association’s DataFest events, Ron Brachman describing Cornell Tech’s ‘entrepreneurial’ focused data science, and Catherine Cramer discussing the New York Hall of Science‘s Network Science education initiatives (I plan to use some of this material for with my students who do network science research!).

Additionally, the National Academy of Sciences have released an interim report on the “Envisioning the Data Science Discipline” studies going on.¬† The report is definitely worth reading and provides some very interesting views and findings. There’s also a strong call for community input, so send you ideas in!

The last activity I participated in during October was the South Big Data Hub‘s workshop “Keeping Data Science Broad: Workshop on Negotiating the Digital and Data Divide“. This workshop was an incredible pleasure to join! I think the best part was that with the entire room filled with people who have already been thinking about what data science and data science education might look like, we were able to frequently move beyond the “what is data science” discussion. It meant that we could really start discussing the roadblocks and opportunities inherent in data science. While I can’t share more of the actual outcomes/products from the workshop yet, we’ve got a really aggressive schedule to turn the output into a report (due Dec 6th!). I’m hopeful that something really powerful will come out. I know there was a lot of writing accomplished while there (I wrote 5-6 pages, and others did too) so look for another announcement of a report in early december.

Finally, while I haven’t been participating/watching them much yet. I need to mention the ongoing webinar series being run by the National Academy of Sciences. You can find the entire webinar series here.¬†October saw 4 webinars posters, “Communication Skills and Teamwork”, “Inter-Departmental Collaboration and Institutional Organization”, “Ethics”, and “Assessment and Evaluation for Data Science Programs”. I’m still hoping to watch these and provide summary posts… but that hasn’t happened yet. If any of my readers have been watching them and would like a guest-post with a summary, please get in touch!