This week we will continue with more discussion on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and will be hearing from Charlotte Soderman, a junior political science major at VU! Here are some thoughts from Charlotte as to why she participated in the march to Valparaiso City Hall in reaction to the RFRA:

Charlotte and Karl Anliker with their signs at Valparaiso City Hall. Photo credit to David Pervis-Fenker

“As someone who cares deeply about this question of the current LGBTQ civil rights movement, I knew immediately that I desired to participate in this march. The systematic discrimination faced by our LGBTQ brothers and sisters is one that requires immediate action by all people of faith. I felt that I could not stand idly by while people hijacked the faith that I claim and distorted its core message of love and acceptance to one of discrimination. It can be daunting when social justice issues such as this one come along to feel as though your particular voice matters in the grand scheme of things. It can be easy to pass off responsibility to the proverbial and ubiquitous “somebody.” But social justice is a puzzle and everyone’s piece is important to create the final picture. As I stood in front of the Valparaiso City Hall proudly shouting that “this is what Democracy looks like” and holding my sign with proclaimed that Gay Rights=Human Rights, I felt that I had found my piece of this puzzle. To borrow a quote from one of my favorite authors, Dr. Seuss, from his book The Lorax, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it’s not!”

Thanks for your contribution, Charlotte!

As always, if you would like to respond to this topic or anything else relating to social justice, please send an email to salt.shaker@valpo.edu.