Adventures at the Village

A senior living complex, whether it be independent living, assisted living, or a nursing home, serves to help the elderly live out their final days in peace and comfort.   As an intern at Wittenberg Village in Crown Point, IN, I am getting a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to achieve this mission. Wittenberg creates a community by incorporating all three living models on the same campus.  Starting on the first day, I shadowed my highly experienced supervisor as he introduced me to both the staff and the residents.  I traveled to the company headquarters, preferably called the “ministry center”, in Arlington Heights, IL to sit in on a budget meeting and meet the executives.  Since then, I have shadowed and worked on projects for the various department heads.  For example, I have helped reorganize the filing system in medical records, conducted government-mandated cognitive function questionnaires to residents for social services, and followed the culinary director for a day.  My work days are usually open-ended and flexible, allowing me to also attend resident programs.  I sat in on a bible study led by the campus chaplain and rode on a bus trip through the countryside, stopping at Dairy Queen along the way.  I have also attended resident council meetings and spent time chatting with residents to learn about issues they face and about their Wittenberg experience.

While these activities can be done on any given day, I am lucky to witness two major events that sporadically occur.  First, some of Wittenberg’s staff has reached out to the Teamsters to assist them in unionizing.  I have been able to sit in on some union discussions (although most are so confidential I cannot attend) and have learned about unions from the perspective of management.  Since my supervisor has rarely dealt with unions, he said it was an excellent learning opportunity for me.   Second, a complaint was filed by the family of a resident, so inspectors from the Indiana Department of Public Health were sent to conduct a complaint survey.  My supervisor, wanting to set an example of how to treat inspectors, introduced me to them as he would if they were professional contacts.  I sat in on a meeting between staff and inspectors that served as a collection of evidence, covering everything from the incident that occurred to how reporting procedures were followed.  Wittenberg received a minor citation, for which my supervisor was required to write a plan of correction for the state.  Throughout this process, my supervisor and I talked frequently about the role of inspectors, the nature of inspections, and how to prepare a facility to deal with these challenges.

My experience has been challenging, but I’ve also had fun, too.  Two weeks ago, I enjoyed the staff picnic.  I attended an open house for a local competitor that served as a cocktail party.  Musicians, martinis, and endless food helped to showcase their lavish senior accommodations.  Last Wednesday, my supervisor took me to Chicago to tour another Lutheran Life Community, and we went out for dinner afterwards upon our return to Indiana.  He regularly sails with a group of friends on Lake Michigan and has invited to take me sailing as they train for the Mackinac Race.  I’ll be sure to tell you about it in my next post!