People, Places, and Purpose

Crowds. Washington, DC is full of crowds trying to get to places. People rushing to work, people rushing home, people rushing to meetings. The metro is always shoulder to shoulder during rush hour. Everyone walks with a purpose because everyone does have a purpose. Even at the park, it’s more relaxed, but there are still crowds of people. Looking around, I realized that I am now a part of this bustling crowd.

park

The wonderful thing about these crowds of people is that no matter where I go in the city, people are making a difference. From making someone’s day with a delicious pizza to donating to a good cause, there’s always happiness amongst the hustle. Every now and then, everyone takes time to relax and enjoy each others’ company. Taking the time to get to hear people’s stories, it’s easy to see that everyone has a place in this city. At the office, I hear so many stories about the impact World Food Program is making, and each co-worker has their own contribution. I have studied nonprofits and nongovernmental organizations in school, but to be a part of one is an incredible experience.

At the end of June, I wrote a blog post for my internship about an article called “30 Women Under 30 Changing Food”: http://wfpusa.org/blog/importance-women-food-and-agriculture. Women play a large part in food security; almost half of the world’s agriculture and fishery labor forces are women. Also, women work longer hours because they have less access to necessary resources. Along with the women that work directly in the fields, women are influential in the market, government, and all aspects of food security.

These women featured in this particular article were all young yet accomplished. Leanne Brown, age 29, is author of Good and Cheap, a cookbook with recipes for those with limited income, particularly those on food stamps. Yasmin Belo-Osagie is co-founder of She Leads Africa at the age of 26; She Leads Africa provides business advice to female entrepreneurs in Africa. All of these women have done incredible things already; it is an inspiration to me to read their stories. Access to resources and opportunities are a major obstacle for many women worldwide. I am blessed to have so many people in my life that are willing to help me. From my supportive family and friends to my university that offers programs such as the CAPS Fellowship, I am surrounded by support. Even here in DC, my CAPS mentor Carrie Parrott Monahan and coworkers are all eager to help me make my next step. By offering connections and suggesting possible career paths, everyone is very encouraging. This summer has been inspirational and eye-opening. I am still uncertain about where I will work after this summer, but I feel much more equipped to find a job I’ll love. I know some of what is out there and that everywhere, there are people that care and want to help. Even in a large city, the right support system can help you fit in anywhere. The extensive Valpo community is another wonderful resource. My roommates and my mentor Carrie all bring a piece of Valpo with them. We may be states away, but Valpo is always with you.

Although I have a long way to go, I am finally able to start to find my purpose. It’s a continual process that never really ends, and that’s invigorating. One’s purpose is as fluid as a crowd in the metro. In each place, every person has a purpose.

train station