All the Little Things Count

As this internship came to an end, I realized that this was just the beginning. This was just the beginning for me. I am forever grateful for the opportunity to be part of this program. I have come to learn tons on and off the job from the Urban League, my mentor, and the conversations with other CAPS Fellows.

The opportunities given to me from developing the health care initiatives for the organization to working with Ms. Ola on the Federation of Block Clubs and the tenant council, to going to varies vendor events and representing the Urban League to getting to help clean up the 6th district of Gary have all been amazing experiences.

General Health Pamphlets

When working on the health care initiatives I was a bit timid because of the importance of the project and with knowing the healthcare disparities that exists across different socioeconomic classes and races. For the first project, I created a general health pamphlet both in Spanish and English. Along with the healthcare pamphlet, I have also created a list of resources and health clinics spread throughout the region the Urban League serves. Moreover, as I was looking for more ways to help the community and make the resources be sustainable, I bumped into the Colgate Total Bright Smiles program. I wrote a grant and now hoping for a package of 300+ toothbrushes and toothpaste packs for kids! Lets keep our fingers crossed! I am thankful for being handed such responsibility of a project. Because of that, I was able to learn about my own potential and expand the resources the organization provides to help the community.

Clean Up Day in Gary

Getting to help clean up the 6th district of Gary was definitely insightful. As my internship carried on I got to know Gary a bit more. Through this experience I learned from community members and their frustrations along with their determination to improve their neighborhoods both young and elders. Throughout the day we set out from a church to the streets to clean up yards of vacant homes. The most saddening part to me was when I found out that people from other towns were dumping their garbage and used tires on vacant homes. That itself disgusted me to know people would do such a thing. Instead of helping clean up and maintaining it, people were creating more problems. The clean up group consisted of a youth catholic group from all across northwest Indiana along with community members, police, councilmen, city workers and the mayor! The day was filled with bugs, garbage bags, meaningful conversations, learning, and loads of fun!

Ms. Ola Morris and myself outside of the office

After this internship I got a bit more of understanding of people who live in deep poverty through the services provided and getting to know community members. The need is so much, and the Urban League does what it can with what it has to help who ever they can. It has been mind blowing to see the amount of work four people in the organization can do alongside with the handful of volunteers that they have. It has been a privilege to work with this organization and to learn from each individual. With this internship, I have learned more about myself and about the type of work I want to do in the future. There is a lot of work to be done. We need to not only help our communities, but also help our neighboring communities. No matter how big or how small, all work is significant and makes a big difference.