Hit the Brakes

Contrary to the typical face-paced world we live in, at NPH USA we take things a bit slower.

Week 1: Let’s get to know about NPH USA. Orient yourself to the history. Learn the daily grind. Memorize the “elevator speech.” NPH USA is a non for profit organization that provides healthcare, education and housing to orphaned, abandoned or otherwise at risk children in nine countries across Latin America and the Caribbean.

Week 2: Learn how to use all the fancy office machines. (They stuff and seal envelopes for you!) Remember how to do all those cool tricks on Microsoft Excel and Word (mail merge is a label wizard). Figure out how not to make the printer mad.

Week 3: Pick a project and go. Gala or Golf-outing? Why not both?! Make a timeline. Set deadlines. Set-up meetings. Draft letters to sponsors. Use cool editing skills from week 2 to make an awesome map graphic for the letter head.

Week 4: Find volunteers. Develop a central theme. Meeting with Gala venue. Learn what it means to collectively brainstorm and execute. The rest to be determined.

So what have I learned in my short time here?

Take my time. Not every decision needs to be made right away and set in stone. It’s ok to take your time fully thinking about something and brainstorm new ideas before settling on one. Even then it’s ok to go back and make changes. Be clear in communications. When working with others, it’s very important to clearly communicate what it is you are thinking (not everyone is a mind reader). Ideas may come up and may be interpreted differently if you are not clear enough. New ideas may come from misinterpretations but it is important to be on the same page so that joint progress can be made. Don’t be afraid to contribute. You may have knowledge in an area that others in the office do not. Don’t be afraid to share your comments and ideas. Maybe no one has ever planned a Gala before but you have experience in quinceaneras and conferences you can draw from. Reflect. Reflection can take multiple forms and its important to take the time to explore them. At the end of a task, take a moment to review your work and look for where this piece fits into the bigger picture. At the end of the day, take a couple of minutes to collect all that you have completed that day and cross some items off your to-do list. At the end of the week, think about what you have learned and how you could apply that knowledge to other events you may have going on.

NPH USA is an inspiring organization that is changing the lives of children every day. Knowing that the work I am doing is contributing to the life of a child who may not otherwise have means to survive, makes all the difference. Since starting my journey here, I have considered participating in a mission trip with the organization to experience NPH homes first hand. This type of experience is definitely one that I will bring back to the Valparaiso community and advocate for by encouraging others to become involved.

I wonder what week 5 has in store for me?

My messy desk consists of materials from the 2015 Gala.

The view from my office: the Thompson Center.