New Adventures in Familiar Places 1 comment

photoMany of my peers have described exploring new cities and interacting with new people. However, I have been spending the past 5 weeks inside the building I already spend so much time in, Gellersen at Valparaiso University… Seems I may never leave.

But that’s alright because the University is a place that “prepares students to lead and serve in both church and society”, a perfect place to continue my journey. I search for a balance of engineering and humanitarian work, both subjects I am passionate about. While I am still waiting to see where this journey will take me, my experiences at Valpo have led me to a summer with aqUV through the CAPS program.

aqUV is a new company that manufactures water bottles with UV-C lighting to kill harmful pathogens in water as seen in the picture on the left. The bottle is activated wirelessly, waterproof and can be charged using solar panels. aqUV’s market are campers and hikers as well as developing countries as a part of their philanthropic arm.

I have been given multiple tasks to complete this summer, starting with a design and prototype of a non-mobile solar charging photo 2photo 1station. The station is casted out of concrete ensuring strength and stability while encapsulating the delicate electronics needed to charge the water bottle (solar panels, a battery pack, arduino etc.). This task included learning about micro controllers, 3-D printing a mold as well as making my own circuit board to go with it shown in the pictures on the right. 

Thus far other tasks included sizing solar panels for a guesthouse and two wells as well as using Monte Carlo Ray Tracing to determine if the UV light is effectively reaching everywhere in the bottle. Where my engineering education increases by the day and the knowledge I already have is tested by the hour. aqUV has toned my engineering skills.

I look forward to implement my work in Haiti at summer’s end and see the balance of engineering and humanitarian work that aqUV has used as the platform of its company. Whether or not aqUV’s balance is compatible with mine, only time will tell. Nevertheless, this summer will give me an opportunity to learn and serve in the best way I can through engineering.