Community: A Feeling of Fellowship with Others

groupWorking in Res Life at Valpo opened my eyes to how intentional Valpo is in it’s creation of community. Valpo students seem to understand the benefits about this sort of community and carry it with them wherever they go. Even though our time together has been relatively short, our DC CAPS cohort has created a strong bond that I am increasingly grateful for. Although I am saddened that my time in DC is dwindling, I am confident that our friendship is strong and the memories of adventures, conversation, and family dinners we shared will continue to make me smile.

Given that they have added so much to my CAPS experience, I think it’s fitting to speak a bit about each one of them.

Nura

I’m thankful for Nura’s kind and thoughtful spirit. Though never afraid to challenge another person’s opinion, she approaches every conversation with such consideration and respect for others. If more of us emulated Nura’s demeanor, I am confident that the world would be a more peaceful and joyous place.

katie

I’m thankful for Katie’s desire to explore. After a draining week at work it’s easy to want to veg out; but, when DC has so much to offer, Katie’s adventurous spirit is what makes the rest of us get up and go. She is truly the catalyst to many of my favorite memories. I admire how Katie approaches people on the street and strikes up conversation, consistently making them smile. In many ways this makes me think that Katie is the human embodiment of Pokemon Go!

I’m thankful for Danielle’s sense of humor and perceptiveness. She can danielle 2always be counted on to lift our spirits. Danielle is the epitome of a genial, amiable person and as the only person in our cohort that I didn’t know before coming to DC, I am exceptionally thankful to have not only met her, but gotten to know her.

Community seems especially important given what is going on in our country and the world all over. Although we have never been entirely unified in our history, it seems that an increasing percentage of Americans have without a doubt at least temporarily forgotten what unites us, and instead are focusing on what divides us. We demonize differences rather than celebrating that it is in our differences that we can find strength. We are by many measures more divided than ever before. Living in the heart of American politics has shown me how increasingly polarized we have become, both politically                                                                                     and socially.

In a time when it is easy to become disheartened by what seems like an endless stream of bad news, I have felt especially fortunate to be a part of a community at work, what we call the Venn Family. The firm employees people of a variety of religions. There are Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, and non-religious individuals. There are Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Some are introverted, others extrovert, some married, some single, some gay, and some straight. Yet regardless of these differences the respect and affection in this office is palpable. Every individual’s contribution is valued, and it is clear to me that through what I’ve experienced, that not only in name but in reality, Venn is truly a family. Although I hadn’t thought about it extensively before, thanks to my time at Venn and, I now know that when it comes time for me to enter the professional world full-time that finding this type of community will be on the top of my list of desirables. Community is equally important to me in the workplace as with those I live with or near.