Finding Faith in Work

My time in Baltimore is nearing an end and though I am saddened to leave my work at LIRS, I am also thrilled to take what I have learned this summer and apply those lessons to every aspect of my life. I recently returned from the LCMS Youth Gathering in New Orleans, where the outreach team and a few folks from communications had a display table and an experiential learning exhibit. The exhibit, a maze of rooms and stations partitioned by dark curtains, explained the Syrian refugee crisis from start to finish. Both the youth (there were 25,000!) and pastors/chaperons were able to make their way through, starting with a refugee profile, and continuing on through simulations of fleeing from home, traveling at night amidst war, arriving in the UN refugee camp in Jordan and traveling to Greece by raft. The last two stations were an explanation of the United States security clearance process for refugees seeking resettlement and a “Hall of Welcome”, where both negative and positive arguments were displayed in pictures, provoking youth to decide, as followers of Christ, what kind of welcomer they should be to these new strangers.

At our photo booth!

At our photo booth!

It was a very emotionally moving and successful exhibit as many learned for the first time that the news is not usually correct, and that it is the call of Christ to welcome refugees. Here is a beautiful example of how our work changes hearts: An older gentleman, who started the exhibit with a scowl on his face, interjected (granted, it was with concern in his voice) that we should not accept refugees because they are all terrorists who are sneaking into the camps pretending to be refugees. This, though a shocking comment, is not unlike many opinions uninformed Americans can have. These opinions are formed as a result of many instigators, including media messages. This comment was directed towards myself, as I spoke about what life is like in a refugee camp, and due to his sudden, out-of-context comment, I did not know what to say. So, I happily directed him to the security clearance station, then ran ahead to warn the staff member there of his anxieties.

By the time the group had finished their guided tour of the exhibit, the staff member at the last station approached me with tears in his eyes because that man had just carefully looked at all of the pro and anti-refugee photos decorating the “Hall of Welcome”, walked up to him crying, shook his hand, and left silently. A very heartfelt moment for our whole crew, we were privileged to witness the fruits of our labor, as over the course of our three days at this convention, many individuals left crying and thanking us for the work we do.

A youth reading signs in the Hall of Welcome.

Personally, this experience brought my understanding of our work to a whole new level. Because our audience was LCMS youth and pastors, we could engage them using faith language to whatever extent we desired. This was the first time I felt at liberty to say “It is right to do ____, because the Gospel says so”. I loved it! It allowed me to connect to strangers in a way that I have never felt comfortable doing before; I was able to preach the truth of the Gospel and advocate for refugees all in one breath. I also, as is evident from the story of the gentleman, am extremely grateful for being able to advocate for those whose voices are silenced. And despite the persecution that often comes as a result of speaking out for minorities in the name of Christ, I would gladly continue doing outreach work such as this for the rest of my life.

The work-faith relationship I got to experience at this conference was unique and fascinating. Being able to change hearts and opinions about the popular argument of immigration and resettlement by using an infallible argument – the Word of God – completely resonated with me and is a lesson/skill I hope to keep close.

Our table, featuring youths' pro-refugee graffiti.

Our table, featuring youths’ pro-refugee graffiti.