Reflections on Mentorship

Chicago SunsetMy time interning with the CFA Society Chicago has come to an end as of last Friday. As I traveled back to Valparaiso,IN on an hour and a half long ride bus, I thought back to the experiences from this summer.

My mind kept coming back to the theme of mentorship. Of course, it is important to expand your knowledge in any topic by communicating with someone that has “been there, done that.” If you read my first blog post, you know that I interviewed numerous CFA Charterholders whom are outperformers in various areas of finance. I noticed a common theme in all of these interviews that I did not expect, mentors. All of these Charterholders mentioned someone that impacted their career decision, inspired them, or advised them in a direction that has lead them to where they are today; passionate about their roles and willing to extend a helping hand.

During the CAPS Fellowship, we were all connected with an alumni mentor that graduated from Valparaiso University. I met with my mentor, Matt Cavin, and we spoke about a variety of topics including how your professional career is not a path that is set in stone once you begin in a field. Instead, those experiences, skills developed, and shifting perspectives come together to shape who you are, create a unique skill set, and help you excel in your long term goals. However, having an idea of your ideal career or life is key to intentionally begin the journey that will lead you towards those experiences.

Another big idea that we spoke about is that most people tend to settle into a role, a certain track of progression, and just keep moving along. It is necessary to make the conscious decision to peer above our daily lives and see the direction that we are heading in. Sometime, that includes recognizing that a role or career path that you were pursuing is not right for you, and we need to be perceptive enough to recognize that situation and make a transition. Furthermore, as someone that has made the time to volunteer on boards and councils, Matt and I were able to discuss the balance between living your life, excelling in your career, and making time to give back. It was important for me to have frank conversations with someone like Matt who has similar long-term goals, has traveled through a path that I am embarking on, and is only a few years older.

Additionally, during my CAPS Fellowship at the CFA Society Chicago I saw first-hand how an organization that relays on volunteers operates. This highlighted the importance of clear communication since everyone has multiple priorities including their career, family, etc. that they must focus on before spending time on an organization. Thus, it can take significantly longer than expected to make a decision or accomplish a goal. That is why it is important to identify potential leaders among volunteers and provide them with access to the experiences that will give them the skills to succeed. Furthermore, my supervisor and CEO of the organization, Shannon Curley, shared a variety of information with individuals ranging from students, CFA designees, and board members about his experiences in the finance industry and as a leader of a non-profit.

During my last week, I couldn’t help but find it amusing how quickly time always seems to move. It didn’t feel like I had been with the organization very long, but I also went from not knowing anyone in the organization or city to being able to connect people with one another. Furthermore, I attended one of my first meetings for the semester yesterday, a mentoring training presentation for Valparaiso University’s SMART Connections program where I have served as a mentor for three years. Afterwards, I thought about how I can integrate some of the tactics that I experienced this summer. I can’t wait to become an even better mentor to those in the SMART Connection program, my Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity brothers, and those who reach out to me as I have to others. As I graduate in December 2016, I will remember my CAPS experience and CFA Society Chicago internship as an opportunity to once again get out of my comfort zone and become even more prepared to lead and serve.

About Leandro Jaime

Leandro is a first-generation college student from Joliet, IL who will graduate in December 2016 with a BSBA in finance and minors in engineering and mathematics. This summer, Leandro is serving with the CFA Society Chicago, and is looking forward to learning more about different finance career paths and becoming familiar with the city of Chicago. During his time at Valparaiso University, Leandro has served in many leadership roles with various student organizations including: Lambda Chi Alpha, TEDxValparaisoUniversity, the Financial Management Association (FMA), and SMART Connections mentoring program. A man of many interests, Leandro enjoys listening to podcasts, spending time in nature, and meeting other ambitious individuals.