From Start Till End

Last Thursday I completed my final day at The Village at Rockville (TVAR), packed my bags and traveled back to the Midwest. As hard as it was to leave Washington DC, I had always known there would be an end to this summer opportunity. In my short stint of twenty-one years of life, it seems as though there is always a beginning and an end. Within a year I will finish my undergraduate degree at Valparaiso University and take part in an entire new beginning. When I reflect on my summer experience, my time at TVAR was not defined by the beginning or the end but rather by continuous movement of time between those two points. My time at TVAR was like a train, whatever I tried to do, time was alIMG_0266ways moving towards the finish line. My summer was defined by many small successes and failures that compose my overarching experience. Those little successes and failures will soon become, last week’s successes and failures, last month’s successes and failures, and last year’s successes and failures. The movement of life will continue and that is why I believe with each success or failure should come a more ambitious goal. Whats next? Life will continue to move past this summer opportunity but the individuals, successes, and failures from this summer, have guided me to set new more ambitious goals for my life and vocation.

On a different note, I have realized the value of the CAPS program to Valparaiso University. During my first three years at Valparaiso University I often found myself questioning if the university truly backed its focus on calling and vocation. I found it hard to find organizations and groups of students who were motivated to seek the place where passion meets purpose. Yet, The Institute of Leadership and Service shattered those previous feelings as I found myself involved in meaningful work, reflect-ins, and the opportunity to have an alumni mentor. The CAPS program provided the bridge for me to explore my passions and calling in life. I attended networking events in DC, participated in community discussion at the McCain Institute and established lifelong connections. This summer has been the first time I have felt like I am truly fulfilling mIMG_0276 (1)y college expectations. Throughout my internship I have constantly found myself asking “why not”? Whether it has been asking the CEO of NLCS a difficult question or walking into a networking event full of strangers, the moment I began to doubt my ability, I asked myself that simple question. The journey outside of my comfort zone has been accompanied by success and also some failures. Failures that have inspired me to take the next step, do the extra work, IMG_0229or maybe something as simple as making a stranger smile.

Before I traveled out to Washington DC, I was set on being a physician and that goal has not changed. Rather obtaining the status as a physician is no longer the finish line but a new beginning in the future to establish new, more ambitious goals, building on the experiences at TVAR and Valparaiso University.