Working for Good 1 comment

Catherine Kasper, Foundress of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ

I never thought I would have the opportunity to see Jesus’ face so many times this summer– until I was introduced to the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ (PHJC) at The Center in Donaldson. The Sisters reside at what they call “The Motherhouse” tripling as an apartment complex, an executive office, and a chapel. Next to The Motherhouse lies the Catherine Kasper nursing home and Catherine’s Cottage (a unit reserved for Sisters). About 2-3 times per week I make my way down to The Center in Donaldson with my boss, Terry, and the trip through the rural town seems more beautiful each time.

I serve on the development team at Ancilla Systems Incorporated (ASI) otherwise known as the administrative branch for the Poor Handmaids. Through my work here so far at ASI, I am beginning to realize that what seem like the smallest tasks still contribute to an incredible goal. Whether it be applying for grants, sending invitations, conducting interviews, or planning programs, each action has a tremendous purpose.

To elaborate on my tasks, I am currently planning a speaker program in September featuring Keynote Speaker and Chief Diversity Officer at Walgreens Corporation, Steve Pemberton. After growing up in an abusive  family within the foster system and working his way to success, Steve will be sharing his impactful story with childcare workers at the brunch in September. His story parallels backgrounds of children in one of the PHJC ministries, Nazareth Home. At Nazareth Home in East Chicago, child trauma victims aged 0-6 years old who must be placed in foster care find respite and much-needed medical care. Having been founded by Sister Kathleen Quinn of The Poor Handmaids, Nazareth Home is a haven for children who need constant nurturing and a tenacious, loving presence from caregivers who tirelessly give their efforts.

The start of the STH walk in Donaldson!

Another task I have been granted was helping with the fundraiser walk for Sojourner Truth House (STH), another PHJC ministry led and founded by Executive Director Sister Peg (also co-founded by Sisters Joan, Loretta, Kathleen, Ann, and Wilhelmina). Sojourner Truth House in Gary, a fantastically powerful non-profit organization, offers over 25 services to homeless women on a daily basis. From food and clothes to transportation, showers, and classes, women have the opportunity to return to a financially stable life once again. At the walk in Gary this past Saturday (6/11), I witnessed over 500 supporters give generously and without hindrance; raising almost $100,000 in donations to the ministry of STH.

I feel humbled to be doing this work. And my work, at times, feels miniscule compared to the Poor Handmaids, who devote their entire being to serving others. I am grateful, additionally, to have the opportunity to apply my understanding of health care to this position. Nearly a quarter of the sisters I have met currently dedicate or have dedicated their life to serving others in the clinical sphere and I will soon be interviewing them for PHJC fundraising appeals. I cannot wait to see the wealth of wisdom they hold and to hear about their work either within the country or internationally. The sisters here give effortlessly, love unconditionally, and serve others without a second thought. This position at ASI is already giving me more knowledge than I can contain and I am filled with joy knowing I have the opportunity to contribute to such a wonderful group known as the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ.