A Hot Commodity

My confidence is often borderline arrogance; however, I mean it when I say I’m a hot commodity at the American Red Cross. Not only do they literally want my blood, but my skill set has garnered a lot of attention throughout the region. I’ve been working as a Regional Communication Intern for the Red Cross, meaning I maintain their social media accounts, graphic design, and video. The last one is my focus, passion, and something that the Red Cross was very interested in. I think it’s important to stress that I am currently their only staff video editor in the state, as it is responsible for all of my stress.

My supervisor, Duchess has been very supportive of my editing passion since she interviewed with me, and I’m very grateful to have her constant encouragement and understanding of the process. I receive plenty of support from everyone in the office; however, supply and demand has come to create another barrier between myself and those who don’t have the same understanding. It hasn’t been negative by any means, but I’ve been nonstop for about three weeks and am still receiving pitches for video projects during my final days. In this fast-paced environment, Duchess and the Indy CAPS fellows have helped me prioritize, recognize my value, and work up the courage to be more assertive in the working world. I know the skill I have is valuable, and I don’t feel arrogant in saying so. My time at the American Red Cross has made me realized that my time and energy have high values and that I have every right to recognize that.

I no longer feel like I’m making an excuse when I say “I don’t have the time to pick up another project”, and I’ve gained confidence in discussing what’s top priority and what can wait a few days. My biggest inspiration regarding self-worth and negotiating expectations is Duchess. She has provided me with a professional means to carry myself as a leader without being overbearing. Thanks to her guidance as my supervisor and compassion as a friend, I feel comfortable admitting stress and asking others to help combat it. With the projects are clearing up now and the end of my internship is in sight, I can say with conviction that knowing Duchess and this experienced overall has strengthened me both individually and professionally.