Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York, or Rome, but– Gary, Indiana

^Get the song reference? Yeah? Yeah??

Today is my last day at my internship. Tonight I move to Cleveland where I will start my next job on Monday. Right now I have a couple hours, so I will try and reflect on my experience this summer and what it meant to me. *deep breath*
I am fortunate enough to be able to say that interning with the Urban League of Northwest Indiana has provided me with more clarity on what I want to pursue for a career. I have had a couple internships throughout college that left me feeling unsatisfied. I felt more discouraged leaving those internships because I knew what I had experienced what not what I wanted to pursue. It was discouraging because it was what I thought I wanted to pursue, so I was always back at level one: What do I want to do with my life? However, after completing my internship with the Urban League, my question is now: Okay, I know this is what I want to do, how do I get here?
These are the reasons why I loved my experience at the Urban League:

Small office
I found out I really enjoy small organizations. When I say small organizations, I mean few staff, not the amount of work the organization produces. There is something about the power that a few people can produce that appeals to me.
Friendly/Welcoming staff
Everyone that works here is very close. It creates an awesome atmosphere where they make everyone feel welcome. I felt completely comfortable with everyone here, including the President/Executive Director.

WP_20140716_009

Volunteers and participants at our Health and Wellness Seminar at the Railcats.

The entire staff worked towards the set goals
For instance, the scholarship fair is around the corner, so everyone is working together to get that ready.
GREAT community
It is going to be very hard to leave Gary. I wish I could have visited here before this summer. People at the Urban League and throughout the community are so nice.

WP_20140710_032

The students at one of our LEAD Programs

Mission of the organization
I believe strongly in education, economic empowerment, civil rights, and social justice, so working for an organization that believes in the same thing was powerful.

Leaving today, I know it will be difficult for me to find an organization where I experience what I got to experience this summer. It was opportunity that took me away from my home community of Valparaiso and placed me in a new, neighboring community of Gary. At the Urban League, I did not feel like an intern. I was able to jump right in and take charge in a couple of projects. I got out in the community and met people. I even have a favorite restaurant where they know me by name. I may have only been here for nine weeks, but it really does feel like home. At graduation, I was convinced that I would be moving out of Indiana for good but this summer has given me second thoughts. It is hard becoming so invested in a community and having to leave, so maybe I will find myself back in Northwest Indiana someday. 🙂 Until then, thank you Urban League of Northwest Indiana and thank you Gary for giving me such a wonderful experience and summer. I could not have asked for a better nine weeks.