Roll Down Like Waters

It’s hard to believe, but only one week remains in my summer 2014 CAPS Fellows tenure here at Lutheran Services in America (LSA). The weeks have seemingly flown by, with new happenings popping up for me every day as the Public Policy and Advocacy Fellow. After wrapping up a benchmarking and research project regarding our advocacy social media outreach at the end of June, I revived our advocacy Twitter account and am currently managing our tweets from that platform. So if you are looking to follow the Federal advocacy and policy work of LSA, be sure to give @LSAAdvocacy a follow! In addition to my work with social media, one of the most exciting developments in my work with LSA is tracking a piece of legislation – which actually just passed the House on July 23rd!

Leo Villareal's "Multiverse", a 40,000 LED light display at the National Gallery of Art

Leo Villareal’s “Multiverse”, a 40,000 LED light display at the National Gallery of Art

I began the summer following the Preventing Sex Trafficking and Improving Opportunities for Youth in Foster Care Act (H.R. 4058), which passed the House in late May and was then introduced in the Senate. But on June 26th, a new bill addressing this topic was introduced on the House floor, representing a reconciled package of House and Senate bills, including H.R. 4058. The new bill, entitled the Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act (H.R. 4980), addresses several issues including the prevention of domestic child sex trafficking in relation to the child welfare system, the reauthorization and expansion of the adoption incentive program, and improvement to child support. In order to track the bill, I have done research on the legislation, as well as attending coalition meetings to gather information and gauge interest from child welfare organizations in the bill. Human trafficking is an issue of particular of interest to me, after first hearing about the massive scale of modern-day slavery at a gathering of college students in January 2013 called Passion. So needless to say, the opportunity to track a piece of legislation that could have an impact on populations vulnerable to trafficking has been an experience for which I am thankful.

A nighttime view of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, from theGeorgetown Waterfront

A nighttime view of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, from the Georgetown Waterfront

Living in the District for the summer has also provided a variety of opportunities to explore for sightseeing and learning. I spent some time exploring some sites on my DC bucket list recently, including the National Gallery of Art and the National Portrait Gallery (yes, that’s two separate locales, but both are plenty worthy of exploration!). I also ventured off the beaten path to a lesser-known site in the Columbia Heights neighborhood called Meridian Hill Park. A structured urban park built in the mid 20th century, Meridian Hill is a nice urban oasis, a great place to do some afternoon reading or do some people-watching – I recommend a trip! I also spent an afternoon enjoying the architecture at Union Station, while I grabbed a bite to eat for lunch. Exploring D.C. always provides for some new adventures.

In addition to my in-office work at LSA, I’ve had the opportunity to set up my own Hill visits with Congressional staff. Last week, I met with staff from Sen. Michael Bennet and Rep. Cory Gardner (both are Congressman from my home state of Colorado) to share information about the work and strength of the LSA network. I’ve also been fortunate to attend a variety of coalition gatherings, briefings and other meetings this summer with Bob Francis, LSA’s Director of Public Policy and Advocacy.

I tagged along with LSA's Director of Policy and Advocacy, Bob Francis (pictured), to a meeting of the national board of the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) at United Way Worldwide HQ in Alexandria.

I tagged along with LSA’s Director of Policy and Advocacy, Bob Francis (pictured), to a meeting of the national board of the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) at United Way Worldwide HQ in Alexandria.

In many ways, my portfolio has mirrored Bob’s portfolio this summer, because of LSA’s unique position of representing organizations that offer a variety of services and serve many different populations. Because of our members’ large footprint in senior and children, youth & family services, I’ve been able to tag along with Bob to a variety including the Leadership Council of Aging Organizations, Washington Policy Council, and even a national board meeting with the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP). It has been exciting and educational to sit at so many different tables and hear from different people this summer. Just a few weeks ago, I was able to listen to Sylvia Burwell, the new Secretary of Health and Human Services, speak at a briefing on the Affordable Care Act and Marketplace Updates at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Sadly, only a few days remain of my time at LSA, so I will be looking to make the most of every remaining moment.

The summer has been an educational experience for me every step of the way, and getting to know the staff at LSA, as well as at some of our member organizations around the nation, has been incredible. To see the hard work and dedication of these folks is inspiring. Whether they are doing regular office work, serving as a case manager, or anything in between, God is at work in these individuals. No matter what the job, they serve to see the words of the prophet Amos ring true – “Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream” (Amos 5:24). To see God’s work done in the world – that is something that can keep getting you up in the morning.

On July 15th, I attended a strategy meeting for charity tax reauthorization with other non-profit sector leaders. (H-107 is located in the office of the House Majority Whip - currently California's Kevin McCarthy.)

On July 15th, I attended a strategy meeting for charity tax reauthorization with other non-profit sector leaders. (H-107 is located in the office of the House Majority Whip – currently California’s Kevin McCarthy.)

New HHS Secretary Sylvia Burwell addressed attendees of an ACA update meeting earlier this month.