3…2…1 Lift-off.

Being someone who is naturally nocturnal, (especially in the summertime) the first day of my internship at EMPOWER began with me cringing as my alarm assaulted my sleeping ears. When I finally got around, ate some breakfast, and headed out for the day, I realized this was a routine I could get used to. The morning air was warm, yet refreshing, and my walk to work was a nice way to start my day.

flowers

When I got to the office I met up with my co-fellow, Faith, and we sat down with our bosses Heather and Kaye as they told us what they wanted us to work on during our time there. Faith and I are working on a project where we are researching different youth development programs throughout the country in order to see how effective that type of programming is, and then design our own program. The first question we had was, what is youth development?

national-safe-place-implementing-positive-youth-development-into-programming-1-728

The idea behind youth development is that a committee of teenagers (typically middle of high school) work together with community leaders in order to design programming meant for teens. The idea here being that if teenagers design programming for their own age demographic, it will be more effective and appealing to their peers. I was anxious to get started, because it sounded like this might be hard to find research on.

Boy was I wrong.

Right away I found multiple case studies and files that showed youth development programming from all around the country. From New York to Alabama it seemed like every state department had made multiple youth development programming efforts, and it was so exciting to start connecting the dots with what the most successful programs had in common.

The thing that was the most exciting for me was the amount of trust and freedom Heather and Kaye put into me and Faith. They were/are always open to our questions, but for the most part we are free to work on our own and in whatever ways we see fit in order to research and design this program. I loved being able to just put in some earbuds, buckle down, and start sifting through the multiple pages of research I had found.

As we continue our research, Faith and I have weekly meetings with Heather and Kaye in order to make sure we’re all on the same page and finding what information they would like us to find. It’s nice to have supervisors that allow us so much freedom, but also communicate effectively so that we always know what they expect from us.

One of the other great things about the beginning of my internship is that it had really opened my eyes to youth development programming. I’ve had discussion with my mom and my friends in the Army who all use multiple youth development programs in their jobs. My mother, being a social worker, leads many youth development programs that help foster children make the conditions in foster homesĀ better for other kids. My friends in the Army work with youth development committees in elementary schools to educate kids about hard work and physical fitness.

So far things have been off to a great start at EMPOWER. My research is enlightening in its own right, but the discussions and conversations I’ve had with some of my friends and family as a result of my work is even more rewarding as I learn more about the world I live and work in. I can only see greater things on the horizon for this summer.