Salty Weekend In Salt Lake City

As I come to the end of my fellowship with LULAC of IL in Cicero, I had a great opportunity to attend the National Convention that was held in Salt Lake City, Utah. WOW! This place was amazing. The view of green, breathtaking mountains behind the city really blew my mind. The weather was perfect. You know why? Because they were little to no flies and mosquitos, the sun set around 9:30pm, and low humidity. The city was like the ocean on a calm day with a nice breeze.

The convention catered to around 5-6,000 LULAC members during the week long convention. It was a nurturing weekend because I was able to spend time with LULAC State officials on the plane, over dinner, dance floor, workshops, and have intellectual conversations. I really bonded with the LULAC of Illinois State Director, Jose Lopez. I would ask questions and he would have answers, especially during elections. Elections were hectic and borderline madness. I asked Mr. Lopez, “I don’t see unity here at this election. People are yelling and being disrespectful. Is this how it usually is”? And he chuckled a bit, bowed his head a little closer to me and said, “This is expected. It happens every year in nearly all elections. It even happens within Democrats when they are voting because people may have strong, opposite opinions on certain topics. It’s the nature of elections, but LULAC always puts aside personal opinions and comes together for the larger issues”. As a biology major, I have no academic background in political science. However, Mr. Lopez really opened my eyes to the realm of politics in a coachable and effective way. And for that, I appreciate his patience in mentoring me and allowing me to challenge my preconceptions of politics.

After my fellowship, I plan to remain as an active member of LULAC and continue making myself of a resource for the community in whatever way that may be. I love my Latina/o community. But I recognize and understand the intersectionality between the entire spectrum of race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and ability. I would like to continue my work to fight against social injustices and institutions that support institutionalized discrimination to create an inclusive and transparent community.

It is up to us, as Valpo leaders, to voice the struggles of our community through ACTION and ACCOUNTABILITY!

Salt Lake City, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah

LULAC National Convention in Salt Lake City with Rocio Pulido

LULAC of IL delegates ready to vote

LULAC of IL delegates ready to vote

Jose Lopez, LULAC of IL State Director, Rocio Pulido and myself chatting about improving community outreach via social media and unified webpage for the state of Illinois