Leaving a Legacy: 3 criteria for a future nonprofit

Since first stepping foot onto Valpo’s campus as a freshman three years ago, the infamous “What are your plans after graduation?” question has always been daunting.  My typical response provides a semi-decent answer, as I mention my aspirations of a career in the nonprofit world. Yet, the follow up question—“What do you plan to do in that field?”—is more challenging. My 21-year-old (male) instincts tend to kick in at this point, and I reply with a simple, “Not sure. I still have to figure that out.”

I’m realizing, though, that things need to be figured out fairly soon.

Over the past month, my time at Legacy Foundation provided several opportunities for me to realize three key organizational characteristics that are essential for the nonprofit in which I will someday work. Whether observing a diverse group of area residents rally behind Legacy’s collective impact initiative known as “Neighborhood Spotlight”, conceptualizing hurtful charity practices set forth in Robert Lupton’s book Toxic Charity, or seeing grantees’ excitement as they report back on the progress of their grants, each offers unique glimpses into the criteria I will look for in a future organization.

1. Shares Christ’s love

I want to be inspired to work for a cause that fulfills deep, intrinsic calling to greater purpose on this planet. Every nonprofit organization claims to touch on this in some form through its mission: art, dogs, nature, education, poverty, etc. All are important. All are impactful. All are different. And it’s in this variety that opportunities—and pressure—arise.

As the community foundation serving Lake County, Indiana, Legacy Foundation provides grants to local nonprofit organizations that work to transform lives of Lake County residents. I’ve witnessed nonprofit diversity within the last month when traveling with Legacy staff to visit these organizations for progress checks. It’s very evident that each organization is comprised of passionate individuals that are fulfilling their purpose by wholeheartedly committing to their organization’s vision.

Reflecting upon my own purpose, I am reminded of the importance in connecting my faith and career together—something that I was called to do after taking a mission trip to Haiti several years ago. My heart’s deepest passion is to make a difference for Christ in the world; I am reminded of this again and again. Although I am still discerning the details of what this will look like (let’s save that for another post), I know that my calling and purpose is to work in a faith-based nonprofit organization that shares Christ’s love.

1. Empowers others

Sure, it may sound straightforward, maybe even redundant. But I believe that empowering others to proactively take initiative should be intertwined into every organization. This very notion is at the heart of Legacy Foundation’s “Neighborhood Spotlight” initiative, as the program fosters collaboration from all community sectors (citizens, nonprofits, corporations, government) to tackle community issues through collective impact. In other words, Legacy is empowering residents to catalyze community change. This intentional investment into residents’ lives is creating great momentum for this region.

1. Seeks opportunities

I believe that nonprofits must constantly pursue opportunities to advance their missions, for doing so fosters the discovery of ways to help more people. Many times these efforts produce partnerships that create new programs and projects that would otherwise be unattainable if attempted alone. Collaboration is highly important at Legacy and is seen in many of its programs, including Neighborhood Spotlight. Organizations that boldly seek opportunities make the greatest impact—and I want to be part of that.

As I hope to work for a faith-based nonprofit in the near future, I am encouraged by the insights learned through my time as a CAPS Fellow. The three aforementioned criteria serve as guides to my vocational pursuit and will undoubtedly help me the next time I am asked about post-graduation plans.

Taltree Site Visit Group

Site visit group photo at Taltree Arboretum & Gardens in Valparaiso.