Reflecting In

In an instant, the summer adventure I began 9 weeks ago, came to an end. Having an internship in Chicago has given me a lot of opportunities and experiences, that has no doubt changed me for the better.

As far as vocation goes, in these short 9 weeks, I have reaffirmed my passion for working in an international relations/service field. At the beginning of my internship, I didn’t know what to expect as I first entered into Heartland’s doors. I was excited to work with and help people from all over the world  but I was also anxious, as this was my first internship experience. I was able to help serve a population I had so little knowledge about beforehand and was able to grow more culturally competent while working with a population that most Americans do not come into contact with on a daily basis. Working with refugees and hearing their stories made me grateful for what I had while simultaneously giving me the drive to work harder in order to make the refugee’s resettlement here in the United States a little more comfortable.In the US, debates run rampant about immigration and refugee laws, but never does the legislators ever pay attention to the actual people themselves. This experience allowed me to see the humanness in the refugees and their situations that are often desensitized in the media.

Social wise, this summer in downtown Chicago allowed me to go on adventures and  make friends  that would not have been possible if it weren’t for CAPS.  When not working, my fellow Chicago CAPS-mates and I would explore Chicago. In this, we would go to music festivals, Karaoke in Chinatown and eat authentic Japanese Ramen on Chicago’s north side. Living in the city allowed me to see and experience neighborhoods I had never been to before. My CAPS-mates and I have went through alot of things both positive and negative, during these short 9 weeks but none of this would be possible if it were not for this program.20160703_172524