A Place of Creativity, Commotion, and Community

Working inside the Harrison center

I wandered through the stairways and hallways of the center, I was given the task to find three things that stand out to me in the Harrison Center for the Arts from my supervisor. Art hangs on every wall; while, materials and supplies are stacked and ready to be turned into something new. It is a creative’s dream.

The building itself is old and shows its past through many periods of renovation and additions. Rooms vary from cinder block to brick to limestone. As one room is utilized for gallery or event space, the next will be an artist’s den filled with their work and supplies. There are old wood floors that transition to concrete with paint marks showing marks of the artists here. It feels like a maze in which each corner leads to something new. However, the building serves the purpose to house the artist’s space and their work as well as give a space for the community to gather and be inspired by art. The art covers the walls and amplifies the variety of textures and materials within this place. I sit in front of a painted copper piece while I recall the pieces I passed made with oil paint, beeswax, collage, wood, and more. These textures of the building and the art develop a sense of collectivity. It is a place where different talents and stories combine to create the atmosphere of the center.

It’s evident that this buildings has delivered a place that many artists find the freedom to create, the ability to try new things, and have instant feedback from the large community within the center. They art can be hung in any open space. The floors can get messy, and whimsical additions can be added to the cracks (as little wire men are found around the center helping ‘fix’ it up).

You can walk through this place and feel inspired, challenged by new ideas, and joyful because of all that surrounds you.

This place has developed into a center for continuous production and creation, and I have gotten the chance to experience and partake in this activity. Working here, you do not stay on one consistent assignment, as there are many going on at one time. In my first two weeks I have researched the history of pea shake houses and mortuaries to see their roles in a neighborhood that we are working in. I have interviewed an artist and resident of the community to hear his stories of the place. I have written blog posts and done more research finding clever ways of bringing art into neighborhoods. Eight other interns have arrived at the Harrison Center since I came, and we each are finding our place in the beautiful commotion of this place.

The butterfly wall

We have worked together to create a wall of butterflies with the neighborhood’s hopes and dreams written on them. This coming week we are planning to make yarn and leaf luminaires outdoors in another neighborhood. These project may seem simple, but they have connected us with these neighborhoods and have made people curious. And these are only several parts of my internship! It has already taught me so much and has given me an incredible community in which I get to work. I am very excited for whatever the next months have in store for me and this place!

-Regan Weber