Cottage Lessons

A fully packed car that went from Fort Wayne to Rockville.

The first two things that occurred to me when signing up for this blog were:

1) I really should sign up to do this blog at the same time my roommate does her blog so that I remember to do so! and

2) This blog follows my first week… that’ll be easy. I can talk about all the things I that I have learned.

The first point was perfect because I nearly forgot, and the second point was more difficult than I originally thought. It’s not because I haven’t learned anything, but because I have learned so much.  I have been inundated with information.  This information is both overwhelming and also thrilling.  I have felt the rush of wanting to dig into my project as well as the… “where do I even start?” feeling.  As one of the three fellows residing at The Village at Rockville (TVAR), the experience has already proven to be the start of an incredible fellowship. We have the privilege of living on the campus in one of the independent living cottages. Not only does that make for a great conversation starter, but ironically, two former CAPS fellows live across the street from us as well. We have been abundantly welcomed to the community. Not only have we had a chance to try out the local favorite eating spots, but we are also being exposed to a growing community that is taking steps to expand and flourish.

Our first week has been jam packed with things to get us oriented and acquainted with the community.  We completed a two day new staff orientation. We learned policies, safety, and what it means to be a team member at this organization. The rest of the week has been spent with Jason Gottschalk, the executive director, and Cyndi Walters, the COO, and many other members of the TVAR family.  The meetings we have attended have allowed us to meet and  get to know other leaders as well as introduce us to potential projects.  We have spent downtime researching various projects in order to hone in on the one or two that interests us the most.  We have also spent a great deal of time exploring the building and getting our bearings!

Katie, Michelle, and I at Billy Goat Trail.

Outside of the office, my cottage-mates and I have encountered many of what we refer to as: “cottage lessons”.  Basically, they are pretty much life lessons we have come across as we adjust to living in Maryland. Some of these lessons are funny stories such as putting clothes in the dryer first as opposed to the washer.    Others are slightly more serious like visiting the minute clinic at the local CVS which is open 7 days a week.  This came in handy after an encounter with poison ivy.  Katie, Michelle, and I know that there are probably a thousand more cottage lessons we will encounter before our time here comes to a close.

The excitement I have for the upcoming adventures in both Rockville and D.C. is immeasurable.  We are set up for a summer of career growth, learning, leadership, great food, and memories.  I’ve never been so thrilled to be part of such an inspiring organization.

A picture of the scenery we saw while hiking.