There’s Something in the Water

This has been an incredible summer full of personal and professional growth.  There have been so many significant changes that it is nearly impossible to put it into words.  When I moved out to Maryland, I really didn’t know what to expect.  I had a lot of questions such as:  “Who are these two other people I will be living with?”, “ What will I be doing?”, “How will I be able to contribute to this organization?”, “How can I represent Valpo and CAPS to the best of my ability?”.   The list went on and on and it was a bit nerve-racking.

I learned that there is something in the water at Valpo and in Rockville (where you run into more Valpo graduates than you would think!).  Valparaiso University has provided me with so many useful tools that continue to set Valpo students  apart from other university students.  Valpo not only guides us with strong academic programs but instills in us a sense of service .  We want to give back and positively impact individuals and groups.  This summer, I was able to see the way Valpo has shaped  students, graduates, and especially me with regard to serving others.  There is something in the “water” at  Valpo that leads us to do more and be more for the individuals of our community.  There is also something in the water out here too!  National Lutheran Communities and Services (NLCS) and The Village at Rockville are filled with individuals who genuinely want to serve residents and each other.  I can’t begin to tell you the countless  times employees have gone out of their way to offer me assistance and guidance.  They have something in their water that has made it harder to say goodbye to this place than I had anticipated after just a quick 8 weeks.

As I reflect on my time in Rockville, I have noticed that many of my decisions and thoughts have been re-affirmed.   I am confident I have selected the right courses for me over the past three years.  Without a doubt, I am in the correct major and am on the right career path.  With each meeting, interaction, and project development, I found myself contributing to something I desire to be a part of.  It has exposed me to areas of work that I didn’t even know were available to me. I am able to  grow professionally in this field  and take on new adventures while being able to remain passionate about service to others.    There is a multitude of opportunities  that await me after I graduate and I am anxious to find out what my path will be.

As I conclude my fellowship, I received answers to all of my initial questions. I had the great pleasure of living  with two incredible individuals who shared their knowledge and experiences with me as well as sharing a love for adventures (both traveling and food related)!  I was given the opportunity to develop a nursing on the floor checklist that I hope will be implemented soon.  I gave my best efforts  to any and all tasks that were presented to me.  Most importantly, I tried to ensure my work benefitted the people we serve.   While my questions at the beginning of my fellowship were answered, I now have new questions to fill their void! How can I best utilize everything that I learned while at  NLCS and The Village at Rockville? How can I carry this work method forward? How can I grow from here?  My senior year will, no doubt, also lead to many new discoveries and questions but there is no place I would rather be than in the place “where there is something in the water”!

Valpo representation at NLCS Leadership Summit.

Myself and 2 other CAPS Fellows in front of out cottage.

Hiking view at Sugarloaf.

Met up with the DC CAPS Fellows for a Nationals game.