Growing in My Discomfort by Meg Main

So far, my CAPS experience has really pushed me out of my comfort zone. Through the entire application and interview process, the idea of potentially finding another temporary home, moving to Indianapolis and everything in between has made me feel unnerved. I am happy to be a CAPS Fellow, but I have definitely experienced the discomfort of growing pains here in Indy. Nonetheless, 20 days into my CAPS experience, I’m beginning to reap the rewards of powering through these uncomfortable but positive times of growth.

During my time at ArtMix, I have contributed to and observed the behind-the-scenes of a non-profit organization. While I am already learning a lot from this internship, I have also faced challenges. From learning to communicate my needs in an office environment to meeting the demands of my superiors, I have learned how to have tough conversations, while also being the best team member I can be. I have been lucky to have great leadership at ArtMix who have given me guidance along the way.

Being able to have these direct and honest conversations has always been something I’ve struggled with. For example, when I worked in fast food, I maintained a position at the window, day or night, rain or shine, or even in winter storms. Back then, I was never willing to talk to my advisors about my expectations and my preferences. Even in March, during the interview process for CAPS, someone asked me about a time I encountered conflict. I managed to answer the question, but I was unsure of how transparent I could be. At that moment, I knew this is one skill I would like to work on: being open with my advisors and mentors. So, I am beyond thrilled that through my internship, I have had productive conversations with my supervisors that have led to positive outcomes. 

My time in Indy has also been uncomfortable in the sense that it is 124 times the size of my hometown. Meaning, my time here has been overwhelming. I’m used to having fewer options in restaurants, less traffic lights and a higher speed limit. This new atmosphere has been exciting, as it’s introduced me to Indian food, walks downtown and some amazing new food spots. However, it’s hard being in a city where everything is unfamiliar, and simple activities can be challenging. For example, my roommate and I tried going on a bike ride through the city our first week, and we got so lost we needed our other roommate to come pick us up!

These past three weeks have been a big gulp of discomfort to consume, but with my roommates, cohort and time at ArtMix, I’ve been able to collect memorable moments and valuable lessons. I understand now that it’s good to feel uncomfortable; it just means I’m growing. In this situation, that means I’m growing in my relationships, problem-solving skills, navigational skills, flexibility and my ability to address difficult conversations.