Surprise! by Meg Main

On my first day in the studio of ArtMix I met a boy by the name of Alex Smith. He was the first student I spent a longer period of time with. In the first encounter, we were equally instructed by the current teaching artist, Emily to make these items. I didn’t know it until after, but this TA is trying to figure out how to apply Alex’s skills and abilities to our Urban Artisans program’s work environment and product creation. 

Urban Artisans is one of five programs that ArtMix runs throughout the calendar year. I think it’d be fair to say, this is the top program that we are known for throughout the city. ArtMix prides itself on working with all people of all abilities. In community class, participants come and go as they please every Wednesday. However, UA is a more specific program, which intends to assist 16-21 year olds to transition from an education oriented student to a more workforce minded capable young adult and potential employee. So, the students in the UA program actually have an internship where they receive checks and they come in to work according to their assigned schedule, no matter their level of ability. On a weekly basis, most of our TAs are investing in the UA program day to day more often than not. This being so, the ArtMix gallery is primarily UA creations that are put together by several students.

So, on that day, Alex and I worked on an untraditional piece that a TA thought of specifically for Alex. I’m not certain how long Alex has been with ArtMix, but on that day, I spent the entire morning with him. At first we talked a little, but as the day grew later, he spoke less and for that matter, he worked less too. 

Since that initial day, I’ve learned that ArtMix tends to work with ceramics, illustrations and felting. However, this past week, a TA, Carrie, was on vacation, therefore the week could be labeled a little more untraditional than most. On one of the days, Ms. Beverly visited and worked with students in the morning. Ms. Beverly is a local actress who teaches in addition at various camps and programs, ArtMix being one. The TAs assigned students to work with her, me being an intern to participate and assist. Ms. Beverly and I had two sessions that morning. 

In the second session my friend, Alex, was present. Alex is a difficult student to work with. He listens to instruction and his actions prove that, but often when given a piece of clay or a paper and pencil, he’ll make his own thing, which tends to relate to a transformer. Additionally, when sitting with the entire group, Alex will often act. I’ve never really understood what he’s acting out, but he’ll speak and move his body as if he’ s in a performance. 

So, last Tuesday in the second session, Alex along with approximately 7 other students and myself partook in Ms. Beverly’s activities. Eventually, we got to the part where we were to draw a card with an action or feeling and one person is to act that out, it’s basically charades. Knowing Alex, I was thinking he wouldn’t want to participate or be in front of people, but I was aware of his ability to act, just through observing him and listening to the TAs about him, so I was curious as to how Alex would respond with this activity. 

At first, he stood there with his paper that said “surprised”. Eventually, I entered his scene and I knew how to help. After seeing his paper, I held my hands behind my back and I explained to him that the best box is behind me, it’s a wrapped transformers gift. I “handed” it to him and Alex intricately grabbed the box, held it with one hand, opened it and began his scene. In a very real way, one in which I could not have done better myself, Alex acted out being surprised by the gift from his own perspective. 

Without a doubt, this will be my favorite memory from this summer. By simply doing my job, being observant and working to genuinely understand the population I encounter everyday, I was able to watch someone excel at something some people wouldn’t even attempt. After his scene, Ms. Beverly was astonished by his acting, Alex was smiling from ear to ear and I was SO proud of him. 

There’s so much I’ve learned from Alex and every other student I’ve met, but this moment in particular reinforced an ArtMix goal of never giving up on these individuals, even if it is a silly ice breaker game. Beyond that, I’m reminded of how much value everyone holds, no matter their diagnosis or capabilities, everyone can do something that’ll knock your socks off, exactly like Alex did last Tuesday.

*Names were changed to maintain privacy*