The Importance of Knowledge by Jade Curless 1 comment

After finally retreating home from our nation’s capital, I have finally been able to reflect on the significance of my CAPS experience and what it has taught me. After working at Venn Strategies this summer, I have gained numerous professional skills and an overall deeper understanding of how politics functions in the United States. Working at a governmental affairs firm has provided me with a much more in-depth view of how our government operates and how policy is a constant battle.

As a general research intern at Venn, I was able to work on a variety of issues. I did research on the devastating maternal mortality rate in the U.S., a crisis where black mothers die at a rate 3 to 4 times greater than their white counterparts despite the socioeconomic conditions. I also had an ongoing project where I researched the upcoming revisions of the Dietary Guidelines. I learned about the importance of limiting the influence of big food and pharmaceutical companies, ensuring a scientific-based Dietary Guidelines for the country. These experiences, and many more, taught me the importance of knowledge and the necessity to be aware. In this current political climate, there seems to be an abundance of problems but only a number of solutions. Being able to watch congressional committee and caucus meetings, I discovered how much influence the American people have. There are many congresspeople who are passionate about solving these social and economic issues, however, their voice is constrained when they don’t have adequate support from their constituents. Working in Washington did confirm my suspicion that big money influences a large amount of how our government functions; however, there are politicians, lobbyists, investigator generals, and many others that a ready to change this norm. For a government to be representative of the people, the people must be passionate about being represented. There is a reasonable mistrust between the people and the government, specifically for minority groups. And while I and many others are unable to fully understand those experiences, that doesn’t mean that this isn’t the time to fight for their platform. It is necessary that our country allows everyone to be represented and more importantly supports them to be their own advocates.

My sociology education has made me critical of our society, but my CAPS experience has made me realistic on how to shift these social structures. Working in such a political environment showed me the significance of being aware and knowledgeable of current issues. There are a lot of underlying barriers that make it difficult for everyone to be represented, but my internship taught me that there are a lot of people trying to change that. Knowledge is a powerful tool, and if we want things to change this upcoming 2020 election, then this tool needs to be as accessible as possible for everyone.