Lost in Translation by Marie Dix

During my first few weeks working with the refugee case management team at Heartland Alliance, I would tell my curious friends and family (partly joking) that I call people I don’t know in languages I don’t speak to help connect them with services I know little about. Every day that assessment becomes a little less true, as with each encounter I get to know our families better and learn the ins and outs of services SSI and SNAP and WIC. Although I’ve become fluent in social service acronyms, I haven’t made much progress on my Swahili, Pashto, or Arabic, so I guess my original statement will always be a little true! I will forever be grateful for our skilled, generous, and endlessly patient interpreters. 

I have always been less comfortable on the phone than in person, and the first few calls I made, though well intentioned, were awkward and impersonal. I wasn’t prepared to deal with the layers that made remote, intercultural communication a challenge for a new intern. I kept thinking how much easier it would be to connect if I could look people in the eyes and I didn’t have to say things like “I’m sorry, could you repeat that? No, no your English is fine, it’s my phone connection!” 

Through no fault of interpreters, there was so much that was getting lost in translation.To most people I called, I was a disembodied voice on the end of a phone line, who interrogated them with a series of personal questions through a third party and then appeared again a day later with the news that some mysterious application or appointment had been made. I was getting lost, and not only in the usual “newbie” kind of way. Who I was- my personality, my tone of voice, the fact that I cared for this cause and wanted to get to know these people–wasn’t translating very well. 

The remedy for this frustration has been invitations to group zoom calls. My favorite days have been those where I get to meet and see participants in a more personal and less formal setting. There I can match a voice to a face and apartment walls, and even their little ones waving at the camera. My business calls are so much smoother and more genuine after I have talked with someone about their favorite foods and music during our weekly “creative corner” meetings, or seen them smile as their name was called at virtual English class graduation. I learn the most about them on Friday mornings at “cultural orientations” as I listen in on a small groups to hear their thoughts and questions on topics like racism in America or the COVID-19 pandemic. 

This work gives me a tiny glimpse into the complicated and frustrating experience of being a refugee in 2020. I am hoping that my efforts will make life a little easier for some incredibly resilient people who have conquered, and continue to conquer, situations more painful and difficult than I can imagine. Many of them too feel lost in a new culture, or lost as the world they finally understood was turned upside down by a world pandemic. I want them to know that I believe in them, am amazed by them, and I want to see them succeed. Day by day, call by call, we are finding our way.