First Days at LINC Ministries by Elizabeth Nevarez

It was a hot May day when I moved into my Chicago bungalow, two mornings prior to my first day at LINC Ministries Int’l Inc. LINC Ministries is a nonprofit organization that provides nontraditional church ministry to urban areas. This nonprofit finds ministry leaders and church partners to equip in serving others. They focus on spiritual community, personal development, ministry development, organizational support, and resource networks in order to establish well suited leaders for those in need. LINC Ministries has seven different locations in the nation– Chicago being the newest addition. I am the first intern at the Chicago location, all thanks to the CAPS Fellows Program. Upon hearing that I would be working at LINC, I was filled with passion, excitement, and nervousness, as this would be my first experience working for a nonprofit organization, let alone, a formal job. My previous work experience was as a camp counselor: I was used to wearing a tie dye shirt with camp logos and having screaming kids surrounding me, but on that Monday, I was putting on a business dress and grabbing my briefcase as I walked out the door. While the new wardrobe is still something to which I’m adjusting, I can confidently say that I have now been working for LINC Ministries for two weeks. I have learned so much through my encounters with Lutheran churches, ministry leaders, the incorporation of my academic learning and my job, and the logistics of a nonprofit organization (each of which I will detail in turn).

I have loved being able to meet with Lutheran churches in the Chicagoland area. I have been able to hear their mission and vision behind partnering with a nonprofit organization like LINC. Churches like these create a firm foundation of spiritual support and a community of like-minded individuals for LINC. They also provide resources and connections for continuing ministry outside of their walls. Although these churches differentiate in staff, organization, and communication, they all still come together as the body of Christ.

I have also had the privilege of meeting with many ministry leaders in the Chicagoland area due to LINC’s connections. These ministry leaders have had a calling from God to serve a specific people group in the city. The leaders vary in age, gender, and background, but they all collectively have a purpose for God’s work. These callings target different groups of people, specifically immigrants, human trafficked victims, the homeless, and at-risk youth. Ministry leaders meet with my boss and me weekly in order to continue their vision framing process and find their purpose for why they serve. These weekly meetings further their planning and challenge them to go above and beyond in serving.

Within my two weeks at LINC, I have noticed so many beautiful aspects of nonprofit work. I have already begun to see the beginnings of how churches are started (a term called “church plants”), Christ-centered recovery homes, bilingual ministries in immigrant communities, tangible hope in tent cities, and discipleship, healing, and restoration for the at-risk youth. Being able to see people become the hands and feet of Jesus and pour into the city of Chicago has been inspirational.

I have also been able to incorporate my academic learning into my work as well. As the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion chair of my sorority, I have been able to reference back to my workshops about identity and racism for future use at LINC. I have also been able to use my knowledge of 990 forms and profiling of nonprofits through my college classes in my work. Lastly, learning the logistics of nonprofit work has been intriguing. I have gained a better understanding of “asks” from donors, budgeting, fiscal agencies, and more. Starting an internship through the CAPS Fellows Program has been a true honor and something that I will not take lightly. I am excited to share that my time at LINC Ministries has furthered my perspective of nonprofit work and has solidified my desire to take this career path in the future.