Beginning My Journey at BallotReady by Hailey Kmetty

Leading up to my first week at BallotReady, I felt concerned about being good enough. I have more soft skills than hard skills. I have a passion for politics, but I felt like an amateur. I quickly learned that there was no need to be so worried. In my first week, I met with my cohort of other interns, both data and engineering, and had meet-and-greets with the whole BallotReady staff. I instantly felt welcome despite the remote setting BallotReady is working in. It was a breath of fresh air to work with and be led by young people who are motivated by and interested in similar things.

Thus far, as a data intern, I have primarily been aiding BallotReady’s Data Team in researching current officeholders across the U.S. as the organization seeks to expand their product to more of a year-round service, not just during election cycles. Data interns also get signed on to other projects like researching voter registration requirements in each state. It is really exciting to me to know that our work is contributing to informed voting for fellow citizens. I was so impressed with my supervisor who exemplified just how important this work is; she told us how she spent an hour exploring Google Maps to find accurate directions to and the address of a polling place in a trailer. It was used by ten voters who, without her directions and hard work, would not have found their polling station to vote. Starting next week, I will be taking up my intern minor project. I will be working with the Director of People and Operations to consolidate their HR information into a new database system. I look forward to continuing to expand my horizons, building my skill set, and furthering my relationships with my supervisors and peers.

In my fourth week on the team, I find myself becoming more confident in my hard skills and I now know that my involvement with civic engagement is what is important, not being an expert. I also truly value the diversity and inclusion practiced at BallotReady. I feel comfortable being myself with my coworkers, communicating and asking questions, and trying new things. One of my goals as a CAPS Fellow is to narrow down what it is that I want to do and what type of roles fit me best. For the past few years, as a Valpo student and Global Service major, I had always thought working at a nonprofit in some sort of capacity was the answer for me. However, with just four weeks as a graduate and BallotReady intern under my belt, I see that there is so much more out there for me. This may sound like the opposite of my aforementioned goal, but it has been extremely insightful to me.