Experiencing Water to Thrive in Austin Texas by Ebony Jessen

My first experience in Austin Texas was sleeping on top of my luggage at the Austin International Airport. After 5 long hours of flying and 4 hours of layover, I eventually made it to Texas where I soon realized nothing was open yet and I had to stay at the airport until 9 in the morning. Thankfully, I had my book and lots of delicious coffee to get me through it.

Checking into my apartment was fairly easy and went very smoothly. What I did not expect was a roommate. Do not get me wrong, I was happy to have a roommate; however, it would have been nice to know beforehand instead of thinking I walked into the wrong apartment room. All that considered, my roommate Dani is a really nice person who has helped me experience what it is like to live in Austin Texas.

On June 3rd, I had my first official day in the Water to Thrive office. I learned so much about my other coworkers and what it is like to work for this nonprofit as a CAPS fellow. I also learned more about the organization in general.

Water to Thrive is a faith-based, nonprofit organization that works directly with East Africa to supply clean water to the rural areas. This was interesting to me because it brought up so many questions that I did not know I had. For instance, I wondered about funding for the projects and the organization, how the wells are maintained, how well locations are decided on and what goes into the training for the implementation of these wells? Learning the answers to these questions is all a part of my projects this summer and I am very ecstatic that I get the privilege to work side-by-side with this wonderful group of people while experiencing the amazing city of Austin.

From the projects that I have been working on I have learned communication skills, how to create various kinds of graphics and posts, project plan proposals and what it takes to keep a nonprofit organization going. I have also learned and experienced what it is like to live in a different state essentially on my own. All of these skills and experiences are things that I want to continue working on because it will help benefit me in my future career as a healthcare leader. As well as help me find my place that I want to be a part of.

All things considered, I would not change the experiences I have had so far because all of them, even the challenging ones, have impacted who I am and who I want to become. I have had to adapt to a completely different city and figure out my own way to live here. As mentioned at the beginning, I may have had a bit of a rough start but in the end it has made me stronger and more confident in myself.