Lessons Learned from Volunteer Bulletin Boards

As of today, I have been an intern at the Bridge Teen Center for around three weeks, and I am finally starting to settle into the apartment that I will call home for the next couple of months. The Bridge is a non-profit in the suburbs of Chicago with the mission to provide “free programs during after-school and unsupervised hours where students can develop mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually in a safe environment”. To be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I walked in on the first day, but I am already starting to feel at home there, just as hundreds of teens have. Amongst many other tasks, I have been able to help with volunteer events, interact with students in the job-readiness program, and even help a master chef during a student program.

Last week, I updated the volunteer bulletin board for summer. At first, this seemed like something that would be a quick and easy task. When researching possible quotes to include, I came across two that stood out to me. While I had heard both of these quotes already, after completing the first few weeks of my internship, I began to think about them in a different light. The first was this quote by Margaret Mead: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” While I have always liked this quote, it was not until recently that I was really able to appreciate it. I have come to see that every person at the Bridge, whether they are a volunteer, intern, or staff member, is an important part of a whole. While the work we do may not always seem important, as a team, even as a small non-profit, we can really make a difference. Redoing a bulletin board may not seem super important, but if it motivates even one person or brings a smile to someone’s face, it makes a difference. Additionally, I have come to accept that while I can not help everyone, helping even one can change the world for that person.

The second quote that resonated with me was “the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others” (Mahatma Gandhi). I feel like this quote is a total embodiment of what the CAPS Fellowship Program is. I decided to apply to be a CAPS fellow because I hoped to learn more about myself and potential paths for my future. If anything, I am even more confused as to my future, but I am learning that there are many different ways and numerous careers that will allow me to serve my community and help people. During the rest of the summer, I hope to explore more of what my place in this world is, and I am beginning to learn that the best way to do so is to just spend time serving others.

While I did not end up using either of these quotes for the project, instead opting for a more summer-themed one, I still learned a lot from this seemingly simple project. The finished project can be seen in my pictures. I hope it brings a smile to the face of the volunteers who see it. I can’t wait to continue serving and learning and interacting with all the other people who make this mission possible.

– Sophia Panfil, The Bridge Teen Center