Valuing Community in a Challenging World

In search of a project to undertake in my first couple of weeks, I was offered an opportunity that would prove to test my patience, endurance, and willingness to reflect and grow. I was given the project of running two market stands for farmer’s markets. It was an endeavor I had to build from the ground up, and I could feel the pressure increase day to day as I worked out numerous details and handled an array of tasks all at once. I had been given no formula, no formal training, and no real instruction other than: get it done. Despite this, the support I received from Kheprw members was infinitely comforting and motivating. Whether it be a supportive conversation, or a quick and helpful reply to a question I needed answered, everyone wanted the project to succeed, and that was integral to its success. The process did not come without its challenges; I had to find a way to focus on the present, and be at peace with my capabilities from day to day. But, with a group of people there to help me, I was able to grow in this space and discover my strengths.

The markets themselves have been a wonderful experience. We have partnered with local farms and gardens to deliver fresh produce to customers. But, rather than being transactional, these markets are focused on the people themselves: providing quality produce to help support downtown Indianapolis’s residents. As an environmental science major, I greatly value seeing the social side to environmental issues such as food deserts. At the end of the day, these are social issues; therefore, they require community-based solutions. This has expanded my understanding of how food efforts directly impact local areas, and has given me a greater appreciation for local efforts. With every small interaction a difference is being made. And, I hope I can continue to work with this in mind. Whether I do research, work with a nonprofit, or find myself in an entirely different sector, I will not forget to see the people being impacted.

From this experience, I’ve learned a lot about managing details and how to prioritize. And I’ve learned to recognize my own abilities. Just as important, though, I’ve come to appreciate and value collaboration. Without the support of Kheprw members, I would have felt overwhelmed and incapable. Instead, I’ve been encouraged to face the obstacles while recognizing my own strengths. This, in turn, has greatly improved my confidence in myself and encouraged me to pursue leadership opportunities in the future. Whatever my future career looks like, I know that I will continue to pursue community. The greatest impact on my experience thus far has been the relationships I’ve built with people. Whether it’s helping a community or becoming a part of one, I have come to recognize the value of this type of work. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much of my experience this summer has been connected to people. But, now, I realize that this is because of the value these people see in community, a value I plan on carrying with me.

– Emily Fletcher, Kheprw