Finding the Magic of the Guild

I find it difficult to believe that my time here at the Grünewald Guild is coming to a close. Over the past two months I have met such incredible people! There is a magic to this sacred ground. The people, hands-down, have been the greatest part of my summer. The staff and rotating volunteers are such a joy to work with. We approach our weekly duties with humanistic focus. The directors do not micromanage or nitpick, rather everything is a conversation, a dialogue, and we are truly a team. In one of our last weeks a participant noted that the tone of the community was set by the way the staff interacts with one another. This brings up another facet of my Guild experience that is so rewarding. I get to take part in and see the way the community dynamic emerges each week. I’ve gotten to meet people from all over the country, to form a community that is intergenerational, vulnerable, and expressive. Most of all, it has been exciting to meet the masters of their various crafts and see how they go about teaching veterans to the Guild as well as first time participants like myself.

Arguably, the most important, and obvious, lesson I have learned from this summer is that ALL work has dignity. While I have always been an advocate for this sentiment, it was not until I found myself feeling as though I was not doing enough nor doing anything of substance that I was shaken in my understanding of work/labor. My major duties here at the Guild include hospitality and facility upkeep. I prepare lodgings for participants, tend to bathrooms, take shifts on the dish team, and do yardwork around the grounds to ensure that all who visit are able to feel secure and experience the magic that I have found in the Guild. Thanks to the trio of directors, I began to take pride in the work I was doing. I was helping to build security in both shelter and food so that people felt comfortable and secure enough to enter into a creative process. I seemed to stumble through the summer feeling that I wasn’t doing enough or that I should be doing more, but was always met by innumerable praises from the staff and participants.

The more Guild–centric lesson that I have learned is the value of the neutral zone. In our lives, both as individuals and organizations, we are traveling in an endless cycle of beginnings and endings. Here, that change is understood by a new hierarchical era. The Guild is slowly exiting the recovery stages of losing both their founders and experiencing a global pandemic. The three directors are brand new, and are working with those who have been around for decades to try and understand the next beginning, the next phase of life here at the Grünewald Guild. All summer we have been observing and encouraging rest in this neutral zone, the time between an ending and a beginning. It took me nearly my entire time here to realize that I, myself, am floating in a neutral zone. And truthfully, there’s nothing wrong with that. It is necessary to mourn the loss of an ending, and open your arms to the opportunity of a beginning. That is the ultimate lesson I am bringing away from my summer experience here. While my calling and purpose are still fuzzy, I can at least acknowledge where I am in the cycle.

I am beyond grateful for the experience I have had over these two months. I want to thank everyone for the contributions they’ve made to my summer. The most powerful goodbye was when my final week of participants, programming week five, held a moment of prayer and blessing over Natalie and I as we begin our journeys back to the Midwest and into our senior year. It was so moving and that is a feeling, a memory, that I will carry with me for a lifetime.

– Katie Endres, Grünewald Guild