Hearts of Service: Encouraging Confidence in Teenage Students

Being on such a student-driven team at The Bridge has encouraged me to be more intentional about my connections with students and take every opportunity to make a program more excellent and learn about the purpose of specific programs. Recently, I was able to volunteer to help with our Welding program where the students made steel farm animals while practicing their welding skills. As I was talking to the professional welders who came to volunteer for this program, we conversed about how important student exposure to skilled trades was and how teenage students do not get many opportunities to learn more about trades like welding, let alone get hands-on experience with it. This informed my connection with students during that program because I knew to encourage them that it was not about making the finished product perfect but that mistakes are needed to get better and that they can sign up for more programs like this in the future. Some students were hesitant to try a new thing like welding but as they listened to the volunteers’ instructions and creative analogies, they put their helmets on and got to feel what it was like to be a welder.

Recently, I assisted in a program where the students were making Bug Bite Balm. The lead volunteer incorporated a camping aspect into the themed program by asking questions about who went camping and where as well as sharing her recent experiences camping at various national parks. As the program continued, we realized that we were going to have a lot more time than expected left after the balm was made. I quickly recalled my own camp experience working at a summer camp last summer as well as my ministry experience in InterVarsity and started to teach the students at my table a hand coordination camp game that drew everyone’s attention. At first, they were hesitant and confused about learning this new game, but it quickly drew everyone’s attention and sparked a lot of laughter in the room. Soon enough, the lead volunteer asked me if I could teach the game to everyone and I joyfully drew everyone into a circle and caught their attention with this engaging game and a couple others for the rest of the time we had left. Afterwards, I was speaking with the lead volunteer and she was thankful for my help and ingenuity. I was able to tell her about how my camp experience, ministry experience, and teaching experience had trained me to be prepared for something like this. I was elated to be able to share a different side of myself with the students and volunteers while incorporating a camp theme into this program. After this, I essentially got recruited by the Bridge staff to be the “camp games intern” for the rest of the summer to fill in any gaps of time during programs.

In addition to this, there is a student at The Bridge who struggles with behavior and I made it a point to connect with him well. I wanted to make an impact, which started with simply playing a game of Uno with him and some of his friends during a more relaxed program intended for students to hang out and make social connections. I was able to get to know the students at the table more as the hangout program continued and I asked them all what their favorite part about The Bridge is. Hearing about their perspective and experience helped me see how much this facility and organization means to the students. They use The Bridge for a creative outlet, a place to learn new things, and a place to belong. Towards the end of the program, the student I had made a point to connect with asked me if I was coming to the Friday night program and was so excited to hear that I would be there. That made a difference because just by being open minded to who this student was and what they had to offer, I was able to truly connect with them and add one person to their list of positive influences.

Along with this, another highlight of my time at The Bridge includes my interaction with students at a Friday night program. During our Socks and Sandals themed Friday night, I was asked to help lead outside in The Patio area and teach students how to play a rubber duck game that led to some interactive student connection. Since the game was fairly simple, I made up some challenges for the students, kept a high score, and had students go against each other. During this time, I was able to keep an avid conversation with the students and I met a new student in particular who was at The Bridge for the first time. He was so excited to be at The Bridge, and I asked him if he was doing karaoke that night as one of the activities we had. He seemed hesitant and told me that he was considering it. I asked him what he would sing if he did try it and he was not quite sure but was thinking about it. I noticed he had a Star Wars shirt on and just by asking, came to know that he was a dedicated Star Wars researcher in his own time and got on his own well-deserved platform about it while playing this simple rubber duck game. I found out later during our debrief staff meeting that he not only signed up for karaoke but always came around to see when it was his turn to make sure he did not miss it and finished out the night with the last song, his version of “I’m Still Standing.” The Bridge staff that night was able to experience the joy of making a difference in students and how they perceive themselves and their own abilities and I was able to be a joint part of it that only works if everyone is dedicated to the students. Thankfully, this is the climate at The Bridge every day and everyone who works and volunteers models a heart of service and care for each and every student that walks through the doors.

– Isabelle Kalil, The Bridge Teen Center