Confessions

Like many other students during the 2022 spring semester, I began wondering what my summer would look like. I started applying for internships and jobs, and I was offered a job I was more than content with. I was then advised by someone I value very much that I wasn’t living up to my full potential. Honestly, I was not happy about that; I had my summer planned and I was now being told that I needed a whole new plan. Nevertheless, after a lot of reflection both internally and externally I decided to put myself in an uncomfortable situation. I turned down the position and started applying for new opportunities. When I began my search I honestly had no idea which ones I would be accepted for or if I would receive any of them, but that’s not the confession… Truthfully I had not given much hope to the possibility of receiving something else and I was fine with that. Then in late February, I was offered two different opportunities in the span of a week. While I was thrilled I was also very confused. I knew these were two great opportunities that I would learn a lot from, but I had no idea how to choose the one that was right for me.

The two offers were very different roles and they provided me with different skills and experiences. I spent weeks meeting with different people I both trust and respect looking for advice. I spoke with friends, family, and both past and present professors/mentors, some of these individuals I have known for little under a year while others have known me my entire life. After talking to any and everyone that I could think of I was left probably more confused than when I started. Before I knew it April was ending and I had less than a month to make my final decision. I called my dad one last time and finally, I had my answer. I was not the most confident in my choice, but I knew that if I was going to accomplish anything I had to be confident in myself.

Now it is August and my CAPS Fellowship is coming to an end. However, my confession… CAPS is not the only thing that I am ending. As of August 12, not only will I have ended my CAPS Fellowship working for the Kheprw Institute in the democratizing data department, but I will also have ended my Robert F. Smith Internship working for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture at the Pittsburgh Heinz History Center in the digitization department.

I will be the first to say this summer has not been easy, but it has been tremendously impactful. I have been able to work on countless different skills, learn from a wide range of respected leaders, engage in different projects that would benefit my career, and I did a little extra travel. As a black woman striving to start her own nonprofit to promote the development of minority youth, I feel there is great importance in knowing my history and understanding my culture. My experience working as a Robert F. Smith Intern has also allowed me to connect with so many different people of color from all over the world that also believes in our history and the possibilities that arise from knowing and understanding it. While the nonprofit is the ultimate career goal I am also striving to receive my degree in computer science with a concentration in business. Working at the Kheprw Institute has shown me a whole different connection between all of my passions ( entrepreneurship, youth, and computer science) and both of my career goals ( owning a nonprofit and being a computer scientist). This summer has been the first step to a brand new level and I can not wait to see where it takes me.

– Essence Roberson, Kheprw