Beginnings at LSA

I started my internship the week of May 22nd and was instantly greeted with enthusiasm by all the people working at LSA (Lutheran Services in America). The first week I was doing everything remotely since I did not have keys or card access to the building yet, so I was doing most of my introductions and beginning work over zoom. Susan set me up with introductory meetings with every member of LSA and then encouraged me to get involved with projects based on my own personal interests. Instantly, I was given a ton of opportunities to engage with the various kinds of work LSA does.

The first thing I got to do was sit in on an interview between LSA and one of its members focused on providing a home care facility with a series of amenities on the ground floor and living units on the floors above it. LSA has over 200 members, mostly Lutheran, non-profit organizations across the states, and is currently interviewing those who are a part of the Health and Housing network to see what kind of projects are in the pipeline. Moreover, they want to hear about what issues and struggles members are facing to see if they can provide more support. LSA gauges what kind of resources and webinars it provides based on the needs of its members. I took notes on the meeting with the non-profit, and as we meet with more in the following weeks, I am compiling key themes and struggles across these organizations and developing a PowerPoint presentation summarizing them. I am also recreating the RAAN (Rural Aging Action Network) Newsletter and helping get that out to the members to keep them informed.

Another project I just completed was helping Susan with a Vaccine Initiative PowerPoint presentation she was giving to the CEO and VP. The purpose was to update them on the status of how LSA has assisted their members in getting the vaccine to communities who face a lot of barriers, whether they be financial, sociological, logistical., in getting to vaccine clinics. I worked with Chris, the head of Communications and developed a 6-month plan of how to get other members to apply for grants as well as keeping them connected to resources and toolkits LSA provides regarding vaccines. Throughout the following months, LSA will provide member profiles on their website and newsletters detailing the success of members who have received grants, hopefully encouraging other members to apply.

LSA assists in connecting their members to the resources, education, or grants they may need to get a project off the floor. When I went into the office last Thursday, I had another introduction to someone on the team who works on keeping members updated on what is going on in terms of public policy. One important thing when trying to provide resources and assist members is knowing what barriers they are facing, which involves knowing the policies in place, as well as tracking the status of legislation. Most of the policies they focus on involve the limitations of Medicare/Medicaid since that one is particularly relevant to their health and housing network, disability network, and CYF (Children, Youth, and Families).

One of the coolest and most unique parts of this internship has been getting to work on capitol hill, as well as utilizing public transportation to get into the office. Not only is it a more economically and environmentally friendly way to travel, but you get to see and interact with people who do this every day. Getting off at union station was a surreal experience, especially feeling like I am not exactly supposed to be there with the other businessmen and women who work at the Senators office or Capitol Building, but it’s an extremely cool experience.

Kylie Bowlds, Lutheran Services in America