Community and Leadership at the Guild

This summer I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve at the Grünewald Guild in Leavenworth, Washington. 

What initially drew me to the Guild was their emphasis on community. The Guild has been a central hub focused on community and fellowship even before it was founded by Richard and Liz Caemmerer. The Guild was built out of an old Grange Hall that was used as a place to host community events such as markets, dances, town hall meetings, and anything that had to do with the community as a whole. The Caemmerers bought the Grange Hall after it had been left abandoned and created a non-profit that focuses on the facilitation of community through art and faith practices. The Guild hosts various programs throughout the summer that align with this focus. Through my conversations with those who regularly visit the Guild, I come to realize how many lives the Guild, as well as the Caemmerer family, have touched and changed for the better. 

While I have been busy with various tasks that range from sorting yarn to scanning historical documents, I have had plenty of time to explore the nature that surrounds the Guild campus. A mile down from campus, right across the walking bridge, the small town of Plain resides. There are three main shops; a grocery store, a cafe, and a hardware store that is more reminiscent of a curiosity shop than a Lowes (they sell the best espresso that I have ever had, genuinely life-changing). I’ve visited Leavenworth which is a Bolivian-themed town that has wonderful “made in the cascade” ice cream. I have even been able to hang out at a campground by Lake Wenatchee that was infested with the most persistent mosquitoes I have ever encountered. 

One aspect of the Guild that I have found inspiring is the director’s portrayal of leadership. There are two co-directors that run the Guild, Julia Hubbard and Chance Voigt. They have their hands in everything from administrative duties to serving on dish team to gardening. Their leadership style is truly centered around service. They have a team mentality and consistently make sure that everyone feels supported and heard through weekly team check-ins. Their weekly check-ins with staff and volunteers allow for phenomenal communication. They aim to use everyone’s strengths while also pushing them to grow by giving them the opportunity to step out of their comfort zone and try new things, continuously offering support as they go. I have the privilege of living at the Guild this summer which means I have had the opportunity to spend time with them both in professional as well as more leisurely settings. Having been around them in both settings, I have realized that there is an authenticity that comes with their leadership. They don’t change who they are depending on who they are interacting with, they stay consistently themselves. That is a trait I admire and hope to reflect in whatever professional environment I end up in the future. 

While my time at the Grünewald Guild has been short, I have already experienced an immense amount. I anticipate that once summer programming starts, I will begin to encounter firsthand the magic of the Guild.

Erin Murphy, Grünewald Guild