Starting Out at Concordia Place

I’ve officially been working for Concordia Place for a couple weeks, and am already so grateful for this experience! One thing that I’ve really enjoyed so far has been seeing how all of my different past work experiences have transferred to this role. This position has truly involved applying a culmination of many of the skills I’ve gained within my work as a Communications Intern for Valpo’s Office of Admissions, Student Engagement Ambassador for Student Life, and Photographer for Integrated Marketing and Communications. 

Not only this, but as Director of Catering for Valpo Dance Marathon, much of my time was spent reaching out to restaurants and companies for potential donation requests. Now, within my work as an Advancement Intern for Concordia Place, I am reaching out to a variety of businesses to see if they may be interested in donating items for Concordia Place’s 3rd Annual Golf Outing which will take place this upcoming July. Not only will participants have a day full of fun, food and golf, but the donated merchandise and gift certificates from various sponsors will be part of the outing’s raffle. This helps a lot with day of fundraising! 

One thing in particular I have had a pleasure doing is providing input for Concordia Place’s social media. Just last week, I presented a short slideshow to my CAPS advisor about ideas of how to best utilize platforms such as Tik Tok, Youtube and Instagram. I also explained how Capcut, a video editing app, can be used to create quick and relatively easy videos, especially when it comes to keeping up with the latest Tik Tok trends. I am excited to see their online accounts grow and engagement increase! 

I’ve been so inspired the more I learn about Concordia Place’s missions and vision, and the impact that it has had on the Chicago community. I’ve gotten to know more about different programs that are offered, including the Teen Leadership program. This program offers teens a handful of different ways to develop their skills during their high school summer break. They can learn about anything from entrepreneurship to culinary activities and even sales and marketing practices by running their own skincare business. One of my favorite initiatives my advisor told me about was the home delivery program they started just a couple years ago, which involves dropping off necessary supplies for new parents right in their homes. This helps provide them with important things to take care of their babies like diapers. 

One thing unique about my CAPS experience is that it is completely remote. While I am sad that I miss some of the in-person events and more face-to-face interactions with my coworkers, something I have enjoyed recently has been working outside in the summer sun. I roll my yoga mat out on my patio, fill up my Starbucks tumbler with some lemon water and get to work! I cannot wait to continue my CAPS Fellowship and am so excited about my placement at Concordia Place! This is a professional experience, but I know I am developing so much holistically as an individual as well.

– Maiah Deogracias, Concordia Place