Taking Each Child By the Hand

This experience for me has truly been life-changing. I have met many wonderful people and have crafted memories that will last a lifetime. So far in this internship, I have received invaluable information and wisdom that I will carry into my future career in healthcare administration. On June 7th, I was able to participate in an engagement event in the Altgeld community in Chicago.  I was able to share information with children and parents about By the Hand Club for Kids and provide them with fruits and organic popsicles that were both delicious and nutritious. The children loved them! BTH is highly geared towards providing kids with nutritious food options and I am very blessed that I was able to be a part of serving them.

Another project I am working on is making sure that every child visits the dentist and eye doctor at least once a year. At BTH we must do our best to ensure that the students have a chance to become the healthiest and best versions of themselves. I have been tasked to call eye doctors and dentist offices to see if we, as in the after-school program can transport the students to get their annual checkups. I am happy that I can be placed in this position as I hope to be in the healthcare administrative role in my future career. 

My time at By the Hand has also consisted of aiding the team leaders in the after-school program. I have had the pleasure of being placed with 1st graders and I have enjoyed every second of it. All of the students are such a joy to be around and truly hold God close to their hearts and the program is faith-based and focused on the mind, body, and soul. It is fulfilling being able to be a helping hand to the team leaders and help lead games that the students have a blast playing. 

In addition to the internship, my supervisor thought that it would be a great idea to take all of the interns around Chicago to different historical sites to truly understand the environment that surrounds us. The first site that I visited was the Pullman National Historical Park. The park was named one of the first planned industrial communities in the United States and is significant for its influence on urban planning and design. It was fascinating to see all of the historic buildings and I had no clue that this existed. I am grateful to go on these educational field trips to learn more about history. We also were able to walk around the neighborhood and speak to different people that lived in the community. They are very knowledgeable about the community that they live in and you could tell that they love Pullman. 

Reflecting on my first month in the internship, I can gladly say that I have made the right decision in choosing BTH. I have been welcomed with open arms by the entire staff and genuinely treated like family. Everyone does strive to take each child by the hand every step of the way to help mold, shape and equip each with the tools they need to excel in life because the children are our future.

Camille Jefferson, By the Hand Club for Kids