A Fresh Start at Community Renewal Society

This summer, I am privileged to have the opportunity of serving as a Communications and Development Intern with Community Renewal Society. CRS is a non-profit organization based in downtown Chicago that focuses on bringing together persons of faith and congregations to address the intersection of race and poverty. As a rising senior social work major, I took an interest in the mission of CRS through my previous internship at Porter County Prisoners and Community Together (PACT) and the courses provided by the Criminology department. In addition to my passion for criminal justice and prison reform, my background as a fifth-generation Japanese American compels me to speak up against acts of hate, help others heal from racial injustice, and fight for reparations for other communities marginalized by the United States government.

In addition to spending time editing the new website and sharing social media posts from CRS’s member congregations, I also have written original content for CRS in the form of blog articles and promos for the biweekly newsletter sent out to our subscribers. My first time demonstrating this skill came as a reflection for the Chicago Community Commission for Public Safety and Accountability monthly public meeting. Also known as CCPSA, this commission was developed after the federal consent decree placed on the city of Chicago in 2019 after increasing reports of police brutality and the need to establish a community forum for ensuring police officers are held accountable for their crimes against civilians. The process of writing a reflection on this meeting was really insightful and impactful as it allowed me to learn more about the dynamics of police and community relations within Chicago and discover which policies and procedures would be most effective in establishing a path toward police accountability.

Overall, this experience and fellowship has helped me see social work in a new light. It’s a field that is dynamic, collaborative, and adaptable, which has given me the power to explore new approaches and challenge my previous misconceptions. I am eager to apply what I’ve learned and make a meaningful difference in the lives of those I help as I continue my journey as a social worker and CAPS Fellow this summer.

– Katie Hill, Community Renewal Society