Little Moments are Often the Most Breathtaking

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the summertime brings joy to many people. A balanced mixture of sunshine and warm weather has always been the driving factor for my love for summer. Luckily for me, this summer I have the amazing opportunity to enjoy the wonderful joys of summer at Grunewald Guild located in Leavenworth, WA.

During my time as an undergrad at Valpo I have used the summers away from school as a time of self-reflection and intend to do the same this summer. My method of daily self-reflection usually entails asking myself, “What is one memorable thing that has happened today?” Sometimes I can easily pinpoint a moment that stood out to me, but sometimes it takes more time to find a significant moment each day. Whenever I struggle to immediately pinpoint a memorable moment, I am forced to replay the day’s events in my head, often highlighting the little moments that go overlooked in the moment. And now that I am officially beginning my summer at the Guild, I would like to share some of the little moments that I found on my journey out here. 

My summer adventure started off with a connecting train ride into the windy city of Chicago. This initial train ride was my first time on a train and was an excellent precursor to the long 42-hour train ride headed out west. During the ride, I tried to soak in the sights and memories of Northwest Indiana because I wouldn’t see cornfields again for at least a few months. The sight of the fields reminded me of my family and friends that I was leaving behind for the summer. Something as simple as a cornfield helped me reflect about my loved ones and it helped ease the nerves of traveling across the country. 

As the train continued its tracks towards the coast, the passengers were instructed that the train was stopping for a weather delay in Wisconsin Dells, WI. What was initially a 45-minute delay turned into a 2-hour long conversation with other passengers, including another CAPS Fellow. At first the weather delay seemed to put a damper on the trip but turned out to be quite the opposite. It got passengers talking and cracking jokes to one another to pass the time. Through the mutual connection of being stuck on the train and the less-than-ideal weather, many bonds were created through passengers. Some of these bonds lasted for the remainder of the trip in the form of having a buddy to talk to during maintenance stops along the route. Again, something that many may see as insignificant or even detrimental ended up being one of the highlights of the journey. 

While my journey out west has concluded for the time being I will continue to make every day memorable. Whether it is a fun conversation or taking a few extra moments to look at flowers, there will be no moment overlooked – no matter how little they seem.

• Corey McClure, Grunewald Guild