We Are All in One Mission

• You will be the one connecting people one day – that day is closer than you think
  • A good manager should be training their team to take his/her job
  • The difference between humility and humbleness / ignorance and stupidity
  • Be confident in your abilities, but do not be arrogant
  • Constantly balance between your wants and your needs
  • Dream big but be realistic
  • One organization cannot do it all

These nuggets of wisdom were casually, but carefully, stitched into the fabric of conversations with the CPO, CSO, CFO, CEO, Directors, consultants, and other members of the NLCS family. The ‘life lessons’ listed above come from a very long list of things I learned during my 8 week CAPS Fellowship at National Lutheran Communities and Services. (I would love to share the stories that accompany the bulleted list above, however I do not have space in this forum. Please ask if you are curious!)

Behind the scenes of our video shoot. I was able to help interview the Chief Philanthropy Officer, Kathryn Bearwald.

Behind the scenes of our video shoot. I was able to help interview the Chief Philanthropy Officer, Kathryn Baerwald.

I developed many skills because of my work with NLCS; some of which  include – producing a video, researching end-of-life care, creating donor profiles, communicating with grantee sites, etc. It was through these tasks and wonderful conversations that the purpose of the CAPS Fellows Program became wonderfully clear – we are ALL called to a life of service. This fellowship program calls students to  action and provides a pathway to discern that call.

“You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.”  ~Woodrow Wilson

Throughout my time at Valparaiso University I have had a myriad of opportunities that have called me to action – alternative spring break trips to Washington D.C. and Selma, AL, studying abroad in Costa Rica, SALT projects in Fall and Spring semesters, a variety of classes, and this fellowship program. Each of these opportunities, and countless others, have identified a need and challenged myself and others to get involved in that cause.

The CAPS Fellows Program is unique. It enhanced an internship into a discernment process, simultaneously connecting me with distinguished alum and building my resume characteristics. I learned the power of listening and how to ask difficult questions, during ‘Reflect-ins’ with other fellows. I gained confidence in my abilities but was humbly reminded of my reliance on others’ expertise. And I gained a deeper appreciation for the opportunities and experiences I have had and how those have shaped my Calling And Purpose in Society.

One of NLCS grantee sites quoted the hymn We Are All In One Mission in their grant application and I have been continually impacted by the following verse:

We all are called for service
   To witness in God’s name;
   Our ministries are different,
   Our purpose is the same:
   To touch the lives of others
   By God’s surprising grace
   So every folk and nation
   May feel God’s warm embrace.

This theme has extended through every aspect of my summer. It holds true in my work, in the mission of NLCS, the work of all the CAPS fellows, my conversations, and what I hope for in the future. We are all called to some form of service – those forms are unique and different but we all hope to affect change and do it with grace, love and compassion.

Hiking in the Appalachian mountains with other CAPS Fellows and wonderful friends!

The delicious cake from our send-off party

The delicious cake from our send-off party on the last day at National Lutheran Communities and Services.