Transitioning into Transition by Veronica Campbell

Are all three of you really going to fit in one office? Where is the printer in suite 187? Are any of the conference rooms still available? And most importantly—are we really going to let all those nice desk chairs get thrown away just because we don’t have anywhere to put them while the office is being remodeled? This was the chaos that greeted me when I started my internship at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (or LSSI), but despite the fact that everyone was moving offices the very week I started there, my supervisor and the rest of the staff still made time to welcome me onto the team and make sure I had a place in the midst of all the confusion. My very first day, my supervisor made a point to introduce me to as many people as possible, then took me out to lunch with two employees I would later be working with in the department. As the internship progressed over the next two weeks, while there were slow moments when everyone was too busy to give me work, my supervisor would continue to go out of her way to welcome me when we went to Aurora to tour a foster care center and she drove me all the way back to my apartment afterwards, then picked me up from downtown two days later when we attended the ELCA Synod Assembly. Despite her assurance that downtown wasn’t out of her way, I greatly appreciated it.

As evidenced by our going to both a foster care center and the ELCA Synod Assembly in one week, Lutheran Social Services of Illinois is involved in many different areas of the world of social justice. They have so many programs, in fact, that I think even after sitting at my desk and reviewing pamphlets and powerpoints for hours I’m still not quite familiar with them all. LSSI has centers all over the state, and there are foster care programs, where foster parents are specially trained to welcome traumatized children with behavioral problems into their homes and hearts; there are mental health programs, where individuals receive counseling and support; and there are programs that work with those without employment, those with addictions, those with disabilities, and more.

Because the focus of my internship is in the Communications and Advocacy Department, my largest role with LSSI will be to take stories from all of these different programs and write about them, for the website, Facebook page, and potentially other platforms. As a writer who wants to expand her experience beyond the academic essays and “just for fun” fiction she was used to, I am hopeful that conducting phone interviews and writing articles will prove a practical way to dabble in other types of writing while simultaneously learning what a nonprofit is like and seeing the myriad ways LSSI helps people to, as they often say, find comprehensive healing that goes beyond any one problem, but rather helps the whole person. Just as the insanity of an office move couldn’t stop them from welcoming me, it can’t stop them from helping all of those whom they serve, and this summer I’m excited to see more of the awesome impact LSSI has on the lives it touches.