Growing Home by Michele Poindexter

During my most recent reflect-in with CAPS, Katie asked us what we have grown into this summer. It took me a while to think of an answer. There are many ways in which I have grown this summer, but thinking of something about myself or capabilities that I have grown into proved more difficult. However, after reflecting about my past internships and how they have ultimately led me to Growing Home, I realized my answer. In these past several years, and especially this summer, I have increased my knowledge, passion, and skills for working in food access and community engagement. I still have plenty to learn, but I have grown into my confidence that I am capable of doing this work and doing it well. As I look forward to my future – I have graduated and will be starting a new chapter of my life soon – this realization is incredibly important for me.

As I continued to reflect, I realized that I could not have grown into this confidence without one very important, consistent aspect. Whether it be on a small farm in Northwest Indiana, a backyard farm in Wilmington, North Carolina, or on an urban farm in Chicago, strong women farmers have been present. Agriculture is historically, and presently, a male dominated profession. It is incredibly labor intensive, requires a lot of endurance, you get really dirty, and you see lots of bugs. For these reasons, and several more, women are not typically seen as capable of farming. Yay gender stereotypes and prejudices!…NOT. With that said, having met and worked alongside incredible women farmers has been such an empowering experience for me. I often feel incapable, downtrodden, and in over my head when I think about working in this industry, but having the influence of these women in my life gives me the strength that I need to push forward and pursue my passions. Then maybe someday, I will be for another young woman what these women have been for me.

As I do move forward, past my life in college, I plan to keep these realizations close to my heart. As I search for a job, I need to be confident in my abilities and in the fact that my gender does not diminish my qualifications for the industry I want to work in. If I do start to get those doubtful voices in my head, I will remind myself of the wonderful community of agricultural and food access workers that I have become a part of. Knowing that I have this source of support and knowledge will, hopefully, renew my confidence so I can continue working alongside others toward the goal of access to affordable and healthy food for all.

As my fellowship officially comes to a close, the two most important things that I have learned are that I am capable and I am stronger with a community. I think those are pretty great lessons to take away from a summer internship.