The Kheprw Family by Alyssa Brewer

The time has come to leave the Kheprw Institute. In such a short time I have developed deep and intentional friendships with the Indianapolis CAPS cohort as well as with the Kheprw staff. I had no idea that this place would become my home away from home -and these people would become my family away from family. Each morning we would have two hour discussions about our day- our goals, plans, accomplishments, and most notably how we are doing. In any “professional” space I have been, discussing your personal feelings and concerns were off the table. Here at Kheprw, they are welcomed. It is a support group unlike any other. 

Throughout the summer us interns completed different projects for the team. I helped put an aquaponics system back together, write emails for an entrepreneurship incubator, create an online curriculum about social capital, construct an LOI for a grant, and other various assignments. While at times it seemed stressful, it was nothing more than we could handle. There was a constant middle ground between leading and learning. 

Overall, I am grateful for this experience. I learned more than I could have in the classroom and had enough support to do it without overextending myself. While I am excited to see my family and friends again (combining the time studying abroad and working here, I’ve been away for almost eight months now), I am also sad to leave. Through this program, I was able to broaden my connections, my education, and my ideas of what service, leadership, and purposeful work mean. I am excited to forge a new path ahead of me but I will never forget what and who helped me get there.