Embracing Discomfort by Lydia Knorp

My work at Heartland ALLiance has been inspiring, eye opening, and something that I look forward to each day. I came in the CAPS program struggling to pinpoint my calling. I knew that I had found my home in the field of Social Work; yet in a field so vast, I struggled to narrow down what branch of social work I wanted to work in. My weeks at Heartland thus far have been a comforting confirmation for me of the work that I passionately want to pursue. This experience has reminded me of the beauty I find when working with people different than me. However, my time at Heartland has also reminded me that helping people navigate injustices, no matter how much passion I have, will be and should be uncomfortable.
Our current times have been startling reminders of the disparities in our systems and the ways that the people who experience them are impacted. Heartland ALLiance has taken the hurt and injustices in this world, slid into the discomfort of it all, stood alongside and boldly defended the hurting. They have had no hesitation when it comes to discussing the problems in the world and acknowledging the trauma and hurt of those directly impacted by them.
As a social work student, I have spent many classes discussing the injustices that individuals experience in the world. The topics of racial disparities, systemic racism, and privilege are not new to my vocabulary. In these past few weeks, these topics have gone from being rarely and uncomfortably discussed to taking the headlines of the news and media. As passionate as I am about bringing greater awareness to the systemic racism and white privilege that are still alive today, I have found myself emotionally overwhelmed by the nature of our world. In simpler terms, I found myself in a place of discomfort.
Heartland ALLiance has celebrated the supreme court’s ruling of DACA and acknowledged the ways that the current immigration system fails to address the dignity of each individual. They acknowledged systemic racism and working and striving to dismantle it. They have said, “Enough with the racial and economic injustice that creates deep despair within Black communities. Enough with the inexcusable racist rhetoric and incitement to violence by our President. And enough with the systems of racism and oppression that have led to unacceptable over-policing, police brutality, and mass incarceration.” Heartland ALLiance has not remained quiet in the midst of complacency. They have taught me the importance of learning and growing through the discomfort.
            I still find myself frustrated and uncomfortable, yet I have learned the importance of leaning into these feelings. I have found the value in learning to embrace and delve into the discomfort. For if we come to be comfortable with injustices, we will never see change.

To learn more about Heartland ALLiance and their response to current events visit https://www.heartlandalliance.org