Not Enough Time

A little over two weeks ago, my internship with the Volunteer Recruitment department of the American Red Cross began. Time really flies– I already feel like a fully integrated member of the Volunteer Services team. Over the course of the past two weeks, I’ve taken the time to speak with as many members of the American Red Cross network as possible (whether in my department or not). The key lesson I’ve learned by listening to people’s stories is that the movies couldn’t be further from the truth; employment does not need to be a miserable, never-ending cycle of insipidity. Every person I’ve met has been full of life, and full of love for their position. I’ve really gained hope for my future these past two weeks, knowing that I am not doomed to de spise the career path I’ve chosen (and currently love). 

I have also learned about my versatility. In August, I will be beginning my graduate program in Physician Assistant Studies… This is a far cry from a Volunteer Recruitment internship. At first I was hesitant to make this leap, but now I am so glad I did. Working with the rest of the ARC team has shown me how to push my boundaries. In terms regarding to my calling, what I know is this: I can never do just one thing. This internship has really awakened my love for creating. So far, exercising my own imagination while generating marketing materials has been the highlight of my two weeks. Again, this is far from a career as a medical professional. Still, I know this creativity is not something I can give up. With the Volunteer Services team, I am seeing how I can apply my own passions to my work, and this does not need to stop when I enter the healthcare field. I’ve been thinking about how, when I am treating patients, I can apply these new marketing skills. I believe it would be a great benefit to create engaging, simple patient handouts regarding basic medical ailments, such as how to treat one’s own disease (diabetes, for example, or high blood pressure) at home. I think this would help the current medical predicament of patients forgetting most of what a healthcare professional tells them during their visit, which is no fault of their own. 

I’ve also seen how I flourish in a team environment. While that may seem a bit cliche, I mean it. Throughout my undergraduate career, I’ve always viewed myself as an independent learner and worker. As a freshman, I would view myself as shy. Now, as a graduate student, I would say the opposite is true. When in the Merrillville ARC office, I find myself losing time talking to the other employees. Everyone is so kind and energetic- I don’t want to leave to work on my projects! This is not something I would have done as a freshman in college. 

In summation, what I have learned is this: my calling is to have more than one calling. I am not a person destined to work a singular job. I want to be a healthcare professional after I graduate– but I also want to create. Marketing is something I truly enjoy, which I would have never thought of before this internship. Opening a bakery has been a dream of mine for years… so why can’t I do it? Creating my own edible art, while also creating campaigns to promote it: the dream!

There’s no reason why I can’t run my own business, or have a homestead. Why can’t I also pursue a career in creating patient education materials? Rescuing farmed animals from our barbaric, sadistic food system is another dream of mine. I’ve also written journal articles and research papers about this issue. 

So picture this: Victoria Cammarano, MPAS, PA-C. Owner of “Vegan Vic’s Bakery.” Founder of “One World Farmed Animal Sanctuary.” Writer and Author. Professor of Bioethics. Mother. Grandmother. 

I have a lot of work to do! I just hope I have enough time.

-Victoria Cammarano, American Red Cross