Exploring New Horizons: My Journey at Lutheran Summer Music

While Lutheran Summer Music, or LSM, has been around for 40 years, this was my first year. As a social work major with an art minor and no prior experience in music, joining the LSM community was intimidating. Luckily, with an art concentration in my background, I know that art comes in many different forms, and all forms of art are enjoyable for me. Although coming into LSM, I knew little about anything musical, nor had I ever listened to ‘nonpopular instrumentals’. So I was a bit out of my comfort zone, although the mindset I had due to my artistic background helped me navigate the unfamiliar territory of music at LSM because it was a completely new world to me. Luckily, the LMS community is very welcoming, which made learning about musical culture easier. As a social work major, my major instructs me to understand and appreciate different cultures; often, this means our norms, values, races, etc. Working with LSM helped me immerse myself in a new culture without feeling pressured to know everything about it; I didn’t feel the guilt of not knowing information about music like I would with the different cultures that we speak about in my major. I feel that this has been an important part of my journey here at LSM. To learn about culture, I have been able to learn how to ask questions about it, how to be respectful, and even how to enjoy it. LSM has not only allowed me to learn about their culture, but they have allowed me to join it too. As I now sing in the chapel choir! Although I do not know how to do things such as read music or necessarily sound good (although I am learning!), they have fostered an environment that is nourishing and encouraging enough for me to want to participate, even with such talented musicians around me.

The CAPS Program through Valparaiso University allows its fellows to find internships that enable us to find our sense of calling and purpose in the wider world. Recently, within the last year or so, I have felt a calling, unlike anything I have felt before. I have had this inner yearning to discover something bigger than myself, more prominent than academics, more significant than a career. As I get older, I ask questions that cannot necessarily be answered through books or scholars, but questions that I feel can only be explored through a spiritual perspective. Although, as I get older, I have also realized how challenging it is to learn about religion and spirituality without committing to a church or denomination. This is why I decided to do my fellowship at Lutheran Summer Music. I saw this as an invaluable opportunity to learn about religion and spirituality without fully embracing a specific religious institution. I felt LSM could introduce me to some spiritual aspects of faith that I have been craving in an accessible and understandable way, as the program is created for incoming high schoolers to college students.

Through the morning and evening prayer, Sunday worship, and chapel choir, I have delved deeper into immersing myself in honoring God by exposing myself to different religious practices and perspectives. Over this past month, I have immersed myself in this. It is essential to recognize that spirituality is intensely personal for every individual. The journey I have been taking on at Lutheran Summer Music may resonate with me more than others, but it has undeniably played a role at the beginning of my journey to finding my own beliefs to find my own spiritual path that aligns with my values and convictions.

– Erica Castillo, Lutheran Summer Music