Congratulations to those Valpo students who have been accepted to the Namibia program for Spring 2011!  I know you will have a great time – better than you can imagine right now! I hope that this blog has been helpful in giving you a glimpse of what you’ll be experiencing, as well as what to expect.

Now! You’re probably thinking about how to cram 4 months of your life into just a few bags…so…

Here are a few tips (for you, and for others who are curious as to how I somehow managed to condense my gigantic wardrobe into something so small) that I’ve discovered that will greatly assist in the packing process:

1.) Choose your bags wisely – A medium-size suitcase, a duffel bag (or something of similar size), and a carry-on should do. You’ll want to be able to carry everything you’re bringing around the airport and up a couple flights of stairs. The duffel-sized bag will be extremely useful for longer homestays. The carry-on is ideal for the shorter homestay in Soweto.

2.) Pack lightly – Don’t bring your whole wardrobe. Plan on layering things like tank-tops & cardigans. Bring clothes that can be mixed and matched to create multiple outfits. Only bring the toiletry items you will need for the first two weeks you will be abroad. After that, you’ll be able to find a store to purchase more things.

3.) Bring things you don’t mind getting rid of – At the end of the trip, you might want to donate some of the clothes you originally brought because you bought souvenirs or new clothes and need more space in your bags.

4.) Don’t worry about finding name-brands – When I was packing, I was told that there were no (or very few) American toiletry brands available in Namibia. So far I have seen quite a few brands that I use back home: Neutrogena, Opti-Free, Colgate, Pantene Pro-V. Unless you have very specific needs (for example, I have not seen any evidence of Clear Care contact solution), don’t bother bringing loads of name-brand toiletries. It’ll just take up space and put you over the luggage weight limit.

5.) Pack for a variety of temperatures and occasions – It is difficult to do this and still pack lightly. If you’re going to Namibia in the Fall semester, be prepared for some chilly mornings and evenings at the beginning of the semester. In the Spring, it’ll be chillier at the end. It is typically warm during the day, and will get very hot during the summer months (Octoberish – Januaryish).

5 1/2. ) In addition, you’ll need clothing for all sorts of occasions: class, meetings with officials, internships, church, going out at night, activities with your host families (ex: weddings, etc). It is a pretty safe bet to pack several knee-length (or longer) dresses or skirts, a pair of dress pants, some work-out clothes, and some regular everyday casual clothes.

**One other thing I would recommend packing if at all possible would be your pillow from home. The ones provided at the places we stay are not always the most comfortable & it is nice to have one of the comforts of home.**

I hope this helps as you start assembling your packing lists! Good luck!